1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Jaguar SS, Ibanez Mikro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HomeRecordings, Jun 14, 2014.

1. So I'm an old guitar player. I've been doing my solo home recording thing now for some time, and my feeling is I really don't need the bass that I bought almost 20 years ago just to use on home recordings. So, I'm selling my Fender American Std. PB to get some cash and fund a new "short scale" bass. I'll need to sell the PB first (hope I'm not making a mistake that I'll regret later!!!), but I'm shopping around for a less expensive short scale and two basses that I've read good things about and catch my eye are the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale and the Ibanez Mikro. I tried out a Squier Jaguar (not SS) at a local Guitar Center and liked how it sounded - don't know if that is indicative of how the SS would sound. Not able to check out the Ibanez in person.

Let's hear comments on the overall quality, playability, and sound of these two basses. Price is the same at $179. Or will I regret selling the Precision? :facepalm:

2. LarryBama

LarryBama Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Never played the Jaguar SS, but I love my Ibby Mikro. Just playing it yesterday, after spending most of my recent bass time on my Ibby BTB776. My Mikro is 4-string, but I'm thinking about a short scale 5er, so I'll be checking the 5-string version out soon.

HomeRecordings likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I was considering a short scale bass and I tried out the Jaguar, the Mikro, the Hofner and two Epiphone short-scale basses...the EB-O and the Allen Woody Rumblekat.
    The Jaguar was better than I expected, it was comfortable and sounded pretty decent. The Ibanez was good too, certainly for the price. The Hofner sounded good but felt cheap...it was Ignition series, not the nicer Contemporary series. The EB-O needed a setup so I couldn't really tell much about it, but the Rumblekat was definitely the best of the bunch. It looked and felt like a quality bass and it had a really nice sound that I found quite surprising because I haven't heard much about it before. I mean, if I owned one I would rave about it here on this board. Some people might find the body slightly uncomfortable compared to a smaller bodied bass with a contoured rear, but even though I only played it for about 15 minutes it felt just right...I put in an hour a day on an acoustic bass, of course.
    A little more expensive at around $300, but well worth it.
    Two on ebay right now. Depending on whether or not I sell one of my acoustic basses, I just might put in an offer on the new one.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  4. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    Ibanez hands down.

5. bobodechimp, just wondering if you ever played the Jaguar SS? Would you tell me what you like about the Ibanez vs. the Jaguar?

6. I've played both. I liked the Jag a little bit more, but they're somewhat similar. The jag was a bit heavier.

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Both good short scale basses, but I prefer the Jag. It's basically a short scale P-Bass. It also looks more like a real bass, while the Ibanez looks kinda like a toy bass.

8. korngold

korngold

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    I have owned the Ibanez Mikro, Jaguar SS in silver, and a MIJ Mustang. Jaguar SS sounds pretty decent, and it was a lot of fun to play, but the J pickup is weak and was basically unable to balance with the P pickup, which sounded pretty good. So, you have a fair sounding P bass for the price. Mine weighed a TON. And, since you don't know much about me, I play 4 hour gigs with a MM Sterling that weighs in at more than 10 lbs and my main guitar is a 70's Les Paul (also quite heavy). So, the Jag must have been 10.5 or more pounds. Also, many people said to put flats on it for a nice fat tone. I put chromes on it and got mud. I could not get this thing to sound good through a live setup. I ended up selling this one.

The Mikro is SUPER light, sounds pretty good, plays fairly well, but mine had to be ordered (none local) and had some sharp fret ends. All pickups and positions are usable and fairly well-balanced. This instrument didn't wow me, but it wasn't so heavy or muddy that I had to sell it, either. So, my daughter uses this and I play it from time to time.

The one that turned out to be a gem cost a little more--the Fender MIJ Mustang. I have to confess that I replaced the electronics and the pickup, though. However, this was a quality instrument from the start, so I didn't mind putting in a little cash to upgrade. This one is great to have at gigs...plays and sounds great, and really takes the stress off of my left hand on songs that are repetitious (Love Shack, anyone?) and songs with large stretches (Foreplay/Long Time). I'm only 5'8", and have found this to be a comfortable, professional alternative to the other two.

9. MTFD24

MTFD24

Jan 15, 2014
    Being a SS player, my fav is the Fender Starcaster Re-Issue, but that is in another price category along with my AGB205. I have the Hofner Ignition and the Mikro, and the Mikro gets a lot of use! It is extremely light, and has very good sound, especially at the price. The mods I have done were not necessary, but as inexpensive as this bass was it is fun to mod. Mine was perfect out of the box. I have also put a set of Roto tapewounds on it and it still has good tone.

10. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Between the Mikro and the Jag I would go with the Jaguar SS. I've had them both and they are a bit different from each other, the Mikro is a little smaller than the Jag but well balanced while the Jaguar SS has a bit of neck dive, looks and sounds good and it's light.
    The Hofner is a different animal.

11. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Indeed, the Hofner is a different animal.
    I have a 2010 Hofner Club Bass CT. I'm really enjoy playing it. Classic Hofner 'Thump'! I have a set
    of Pyramid Flatwounds on it, and usually play with the neck pup only. I have been in a search for
    an inexpensive Jazz Bass, but, after playing a Squier 70's JB, I realized I'm better off with a short scale.
    Considered the Mustang models, but the Squier VM Jaguar SS looks to be the best bang for the buck
    with all of the classic Fender features. The short scale excels in the punchy mid/low I love.