1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Squier VM Jazz Bass Pickup Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by infinityplayer1, Dec 18, 2016.

1. infinityplayer1

infinityplayer1

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi guys I just bought a VM Jazz Bass, and I like the sound and everything but there is just one thing: the output, which I feel it is too low compared for example, with my cheaper Affinity Jazz Bass.

This is the new VM Jazz with the "Fender Designed" pups, but I have some Duncan Designed Pups from a scrapped VM Jazz (the older ones) but I have never actually heard these pups, by your experience, do you think that they are worth changing for the duncans ? Do they have higher output? Do they sound good?

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. Have you tried raising them? The output on mine is fine.

3. I have the 5-string with Fender pickups, and I felt the same way about the output. I wound up bringing the bridge pickup about 1/8" below the B and G strings, and the neck pickup about 3/16" or so below those strings. This pickup height just about equals my other Jazz with MM and SD quarter pound pickups, which are set about 1/16" lower overall.
    In my opinion, the pickups do sound really good; warm and fuzzy, good midrange growl. I am apprehensive about replacing them with higher output pickups in fear of losing those qualities. Just kick up the amp volume by 1/2...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021