1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Jazz Bass "Small" Problem!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    So about 2 weeks ago I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. When I bought it I got it set up and everything, but when I was testing it out after it was set up the input jack became loose. I told the tech and he fixed it, but 2 days ago it did it again, so I researched how to fix it on a jazz bass and it worked fine for a few days. Then it did it again. I think the tech cross threaded the bolt on to the jack. I just think its a piss poor place to put an input jack. Is it the jack itself or the bolt? Has anyone else had this problem and how would it need to be fixed? :help:

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

2. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Take nut off. Apply Blue Loctite to inner threads of nut. Put nut back on. Tighten nut. Wipe off any blue loctite that might bleed over onto finish. Let sit overnight.
    Fixed.

Or if crossthreaded put in a new Switchcraft jack.

3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Its an easy thing to replace if you know how to solder. Or it could be a good opportunity to learn how

4. Actually, the location of the jack on a J bass makes it very easy to fix. Use Loctite as described above, or replace the jack if the threads are toast.

5. It's not a jack, it's a socket.

6. My VM does this too. Thanks for the tip.

7. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well the big problem is that I can take the base plate off and tighten it, but If the cable wiggles it will become loose again. Its a cheap and easy fix I know, but its just annoying because I just bought this bass.

8. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Oh also is it a mono or a stereo jack?

9. On a VM-Jazz? It's obviously not stereo.

10. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Pull out the stock jack and install a switchcraft and forget about it.

11. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Whats so special about the switchcraft jack compared to the stock jack. I seen online that it is only about $3.

12. MAYBE a little better spring to it, that's about all.

I've bought a few Switchcraft (I think they were anyway) and as yet no problems even with the GFS 'CTS-Switchcraft style' parts they sell either.

It may just be more 'Orange Drop' or cloth wrapped wire voodoo. I'm sure there are some really rotten ones out there, but I've only seen one actually fail on me in 52+ years.

13. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Just a little better quality. I've used them for years without any problems. My MIM Jazz has the same problem as yours, and that's how I plan to fix it.

Edit: Actually, I think the Switchcraft has a better quality steel; probably harder spring steel for the positive terminal. For the price, you can't go wrong.

14. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Joe,

I know what you mean about the orange drop cap and cloth wire, but this is different. Switchcraft connectors were the industry standard for years, and I'd be willing to bet that all the MIA premium brand guitars/bases still use Switchcraft. I have a Squier P and the MIM Jazz and they both have loose/intermittent input jacks. My old Fender MIA Jazz is as solid as the day it was built. Hey, I'm not knocking the Squier and MIM, they've gotta' cut costs somewhere.

John

15. Maybe so - I just stay away from those cables that have the lifetime warranty and I always put the cable through the strap at the rear straplock.

That keeps sideways pressure off the connection - but I don't deny a better spring is always a good-er thing. Fortunately I've never had a failure in a bass - but a couple of guitars had troubles that I fixed for friends.

16. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    What? You don't buy Monster cables? :ninja:
    Neither do I. I normally roll my own, and I hook them up the same way as you.

17. The jacks in any of the Squier Basses are not their strong point. We could all tell you to tighten it up again and use loctite but it still wouldn't make it a better jack. The suggestion to replace it is the best one. I've had issues with the one on my CV Jazz as well.

18. I replaced the control plate on my vm jazz with a USA one which included a switchcraft one.

19. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Ok cool guys can somebody please put a link about the exact one that will fit please thank you.