1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Jazz Fret Buzz at 9th fret, D string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Hello all,

I have been the proud owner of a Squier VM Jazz Bass for quite some time now. The only issue I seem to have is the action cannot go down low as much as I would like it to; but for the time being it's at a passable height for now. However, there is one spot on the neck, specifically the 9th fret on the D string that buzzes incessantly. No matter how gingerly I play, that one spot buzzes. Its not the type of buzz where you initially hear the note, then the buzz after, but just straight out buzzing. I have checked every other spot on my bass, that's the only point with a problem. Is this a so called "dead spot"? Will bringing it to a guitar tech/luthier for fret leveling help? How much will that cost?

Thanks,
    Edwin

2. jcanderson

jcanderson

Apr 13, 2013
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm assuming it's buzzing when you're fretting at the 9th fret. The 9th fret might be too low, or a higher fret (e.g.10th) is too high. A fret-rocker might help you find the problem -- try using a credit card (or something with a straight edge that spans 3 frets). There are videos on YouTube -- try searching on fret leveling.

I can't speak to a luthier's cost, as I level my own frets. It isn't too difficult, but you want to learn on an inexpensive bass, not your main instrument.

3. jcanderson

jcanderson

Apr 13, 2013
    Los Altos, CA
  4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to post this in setup, but I recently discovered a CHEAP way to get a good set of fret rockers...

Allen Wrenches... They have a good flat edge and come in different lengths to accomodate all the frets.

No more than I do fret work, this is a very effective/economical solution (especially since I already had the Allens).

All the best,

Bob