Squier VM Jazz intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    So I've been doing my own setups which is fairly easy, but on my squire jazz no matter what I do I can't get the e string right. I can't increase the string length anymore so I'm stuck at where its at. I was in the studio and this was an issue, one that was super annoying. Im gassing for a new bass, either a jazz, wall, or a ric. In the meantime is there something else I can do in the meantime to correct this? I know its a squire so that comes with its own "imperfections" depending on who you are. Im basically tuning the low e by song to what ever the lowest note is, so if its an F I tune to the fretted first fret

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have never had that problem with any of my Squier VM Jazz basses. Are your strings really old?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

This in no way had anything to do with the bass. The bass is made by machine and all frets slots are cut with a machine An imperfectly crowned fret can in no way affect intonation beyond the width of a fret. Your intonation at the twelfth is a setup issue or a string issue period.

Causes:
    Old strings
    No Witness points.( Bend strings in both sides of nut and saddles to make a straight shot between the points.)
    Action too high.
    Occasionally pickup is too close to string and when you fret the frequency is disturbed by magnetic field.

4. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks for the response. The strings are newish (2 weeks), I am well aware old strings are a factor in this. I know it's not the pickups cause I have them down as far as they'll go. The action I haven't been able to get as low as I want. Is it super high? No, but i've played the same exact bass in guitar center and sam ash stores and the action on those were lower than mine, so i know it can be be done, obviously, I just can't get the neck any flatter. Now the whole witness point thing i'm going to have to look in to, cause i've never heard of the term before.

5. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Had this same issue with my VM jazz. Long story short, when I raised the action, the intonation issue (and also extra boomy and oscillating sounds) went away. I concluded it was due to the string not being stable because the bridge was too low for the high tension of the string (witness point).

What strings are you using?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Witness points: the strings must not arc up over the nut or the saddles. They must have a definite break angle at these points. You accomplish this by pressing down on the string using a finger and thumb both sides of the saddle. Start with string long and check. (In your case you WILL be flat) Shorten string. Bend the string. Check again.

The saddle generally will be no more than half it's width behind the next smaller string saddle. So in your case you can likely begin by moving the E saddle just behind the A saddle and work shorter.

Set witness on all strings but begin with your G string and work down to E. in other words, begin the intonation process again from the beginning because your strings are new.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021