1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Jazz - Pickups or Pre Amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy_D, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I have a VM Jazz and I'm looking to enhance it a little for those who have done both what do you consider bigger bang for your bucjk as a tonal improvement. DiMarzio Area J's or installation of an Audere pre amp.?

My think is that replace pickups = improved tone whereas pre amp = more tonal variety but not necessarily improved tone.

Which would give more improvement to my tone?

One last thing since I'm not at home, (I'm halfway around the world in Asia right now) and I can't measure my pickups. Are VM Jazz pickups the same size or different sizes. I'm looking at ordering my Christmas present to myself before i get home.

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The pickups in the VM Jazz are pretty good as is, so I would upgrade the preamp to the Audere zmode. It worked wonders for mine. It improved the tone and added versatility. I still kick myself for selling it:meh:

3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I felt like the VM pus were lacking some lower end, but the growl was excellent. I picked up a cheap preamp, and now it rocks. I keep the bass boosted, and it sounds great. IMO, pus are fine, I would put in a preamp. Although, I did need to route a little bit since its pretty tight in the cavity.

4. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Alright consensus so far seems to be with the pre-amp. I'm with you on the thin sound and lack of low end. See if anyone else chimes in. Thanks!

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    A good preamp will fix the thin sound. However when I had mine, the pickups were anything but thin sounding. Did they move away from the Duncan Designed pups?

6. Nope. Squier is still using those.
    Me, I would try adjusting the pickup height before I considered adding a pre-amp or changing pups on my VM J. Not that I'm thinking of doing that, I think the DD pups are just fine and not thin-sounding at all.
    Just a very slight adjustment in the pickup on my '78 p-bass made a major change to the fullness of the pickup, tone and volume wise.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1 adjusting pickup hight can make a big difference.

8. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks, I'll try adjusting them again. It's been a long time since I've done that (right after installing copper shielding actually).