1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squier VM jazz vs. Cort Curbow 4!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnirbanBASSroy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. i have the VM jazz and i really dig it. i love its tone and all but it weighs a ton! and there seems to be a prroblem with the truss rod. the neck keeps bending and the action is way too high. i tried lowering it, but its back up within a week! :rolleyes:

so i was looking at the cort curbow 4. i will exchange my bass for it. it is lightweight, has a fast neck and has an active bartollini! :hyper: so do u guys think its a good deal? advice is appreciated. thank you :) :bassist:

2. bump!

3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Yes. Cort basses are great.

4. Most cheaper bass guitars or the same brand/model have different weights and setups.... Always good to shop around with Squiers in case you want one, their weights are all different.

5. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I like jazz bass guitars I tried and love the curbow go for it I would, Fender are the standard but at last count there were 700 billion of them, I just traded a jazz for a less common bass I say get the Cort because as a bassist I will guarantee you and I and everyone who reads this will more Fenders

6. but is the cort curbow a good buy? trading my VM jazz? is it good value for money? thats what i'm asking...

7. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Youre probably not gonna have great resale on either one, so go for it....especially if you dig the more radical body shape of the Cort.
    Im a big fan of the "new" Curbows that have the maple body...but Im sure they weigh a bit more than the Luthite ones. I owned a 6 string Cort Curbow with the luthite body and I liked it a lot.

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/series/curbow-series

8. i have read that these cort curbows have a bad tendency of getting there neck bent on warm temperatures. is this true?

9. I saw a number of posts regarding that when I was looking into issues with my own Corts. That issue with the neck itself has to do with the Ebanol fretboard supposedly being more reactive to temperature changes than wood. From the posts, there's evidence that this is true. By the same token, I've never noticed the same comments about Squiers with Ebanol fretboards dunno.

There's another issue that occurs with some of these basses that has to do with the Luthite body warping beyond the point that adjustment (saddles) correction is possible. I know that this can happen because I had two Cort Curbow that both had body warp. While this problem isn't unheard of, it doesn't appear to be common.

In terms of trade value, I'm not sure of the price of various Squiers, but I believe the Cort starts off as the higher priced bass.

Edit: Also, the Bartolini electronics on the Cort aren't really a big plus over various other standard "budget" electronics. They say "Bartolini" on them, but it's the MK1 pickup and pre-amp, which is the offshore/Bartolini licensed pickup/pre. They are fine and a lot of people like them, but they're not the same as Bartolini USA electronics.

10. Malaka73

Malaka73

Nov 7, 2010
    Just recently I had both of those basses in my collection. I still own the VM Jazz. I sold the curbow. I loved the it looked and how it felt but, it just didnt sound very good. I did like enough that I think I will be getting one the new maple body curbows. I hope it works out.

11. @malaka73 - u had both the basses. so you have faced the problem wth the VM's high action and truss rod too i suppose??? so how did you cope with it?

12. I'm puzzled by the continued problems you're having making that truss rod adjustment. When it's done properly there's no reason that rod shouldn't hold unless it's defective or broken. Has that always been a problem or something more recent?

13. it has been a problem since i first bought the bass. the neck keeps bending.