Squier VM Jazz vs Sterling SB14 vs Epiphone Jack Casady signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marekgaw197, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Squier VM Jazz bass

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Epiphone Jack Casady

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Sterling sb14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. marekgaw197

marekgaw197

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi,
    Recently I was thinking about changing my Squier VM Jazz bass for something different - my birthday is near and I wanted to gift myself with a new bass.
    I posted an ad and got two offers : 1st is an Epiphone Jack Casady signature and the second is a Sterling SB14. I had an opportunity to play the Epiphone some years ago and I liked it, however there is a weak spot in my heart for mm sound.
    Are here any users of the Epiphone Jack Casady model or the Sterling SB14? Is the change for any of the 2 basses mentioned above an upgrade or downgrade?

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    IMO the Jack is an upgrade form both of those. I've had one for a few years, and its an amazingly expressive instrument. I went with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats, and I can go from almost upright thud to screaming, singing fills just moving my picking hand.

But it DOES NOT sound like a Music Man. So if you need that sparkle, there you go. For me its one of my desert island bases, second only to my G&L

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    The Cassidy is a big upgrade over the other two, a while other level.

4. marekgaw197

marekgaw197

Jun 22, 2011
    Ok, so the Jack Cassady was in a terrible condition - there were cracks on the neck, many deep scratches and so on.
    Right now I can exchange my Jazz for the Sterling SB14 but I can't find many reviews on it

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022