1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Mustang bass vs Squier Mikey Way Mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeteSix, Jan 22, 2013.

1. PeteSix

PeteSix

Nov 30, 2009
    Derby UK
    Hi Guys,
    I'm wanting to buy a Squier Mustang bass. I'm a jazz bass player - I've had all sorts of basses over the last 20 years - short scale and long, Fender, Gibson, epiphone, Wal. I've even got a custom hand made Explorer bass, but my main bass has always been a fender jazz I bought in 1993.

One of my basses at the moment (a use at home type thing) is an old Kay short scale ricky 4001 copy thing. It's a piece of old crap but I'm fond of it. All my other basses are at a studio where my band rehearses.

Years ago, I wanted a Mustang bass - before any of the reissue days, so I went to a proper vintage stockist in the UK and tried the one and only one they had. It was great to play (I'm a small guy 5'7") but the sound of the bass just sucked to my ears.

I'm now looking again for a nice short scale option. I love the Mustang. Before someone shouts track down a 'MIJ' - I don't have the budget.

I've got around £300 GBP to drop on this. So it's a toss up between the VM and the Mikey Way in my eyes.

I prefer a rosewood fingerboard. I don't give a stuff about MW or his band, but the instrument looks great. But I need to know which of these instruments is better and what they sound like compared to each other.
    the MW is £40 cheaper here than the VM.

The rosewood would swing it for me, but what does that humbucker sound like compared to the normal VM split pickup? Have any of you out there tried both?

This will be an order-off-the-web job too. I've been to my local music store and they don't have either option for me to try.

Any help / advice is welcomed.
    Cheers!

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I once had it, but I think it was a lemon

A neck nearly impossible to properly setup, but then it's something that can happen with Squier Vintage Modifieds... they're quality control is not set on necks.

Anyway the look of a plain Vintage Modifed Mustang is way better to me, meanin' that it is much more classic.

But thinkin' about eventual upgrade, it's easier to handle the Mickey Way humbucker

You can both swap an EMGhz35 or a Tesla with a dual wiring to install a volume push/pull serial/parallel knob, or just keep it as it is, for its ooutput is loud enough

To mod a plain Vintage Modified Mustang can leave you less alternatives

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021