1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Mustang bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WallyN, Sep 27, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Just picked up a used Squier VM Mustang, have to say this thing sounds way sweeter than I was expecting. The tone was beyond my expectation.

Anyone else own this bass? If so what are your thoughts and experience?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately, the default position is disbelief till you prove your claim. No pics = no bass.

3. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    I like mine. It needed a little work at first, as it had sharp fret edges & a dodgy volume pot. After that is was fine.

GT

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    It's a decent bass for the price. I nearly bought it. But I prefer the superior quality and tone of the Fender (I loathe vintage white).

5. Ok so seeing as I must comply with the no photo no bass rule lol, here she is... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380376276.508846.

I dig the tone this thing puts out, very warm. The weird thing though, Being as I have very small hands, I really thought a short scale would totally suit me but wow! After playing my classic 50's p and Mim standard P. I am finding it challenging with the closer string spacing and also having to ease up on my attack. Not sure if the short scale is right

6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You need to give it more time. It won't play the same as your other basses. But it will grow on you pretty quickly.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Agree. The spacing on my mij stang is even closer, I think. It takes getting used to but it's worth it.

8. Yeah, got one. It is a really nice bass for the price I paid for it, and it's nice to have a short scale around. Never had it properly set up, think it'd be a sweet player if I did.

I haven't used it much recently, it doesn't suit the style of music I'm playing at the moment, but I've never regretted buying it.

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm always curious when I read this. Do you mean the sound it makes or the appearance of the instrument?

10. To prefix this, I'm currently playing in an old school hardcore/punk band. A few reasons why I don't use it for this project;

- the scale; I wrote all these songs on a long scale bass, there's a lot of sliding up to higher notes and big jumps up & down the fretboard, and for whatever reason, I always overshoot on the Mustang. used it for 2 gigs & a month of practise, and when I'm in the moment live, I always missed it

- string tension; got 45-105s on there, and the tension is still pretty loose. my playing style in this band is fast plectrum picking, and very aggressive, which feels like a struggle with the strings moving around more.

- pickups; my favourite sound with this band is blending two Jazz pickups together, I've tried a lot and that just works. the Mustang pickup reacts completely differently with my distortion pedals, and I find it gets lost somewhat with the guitar sound. My clean tone from that pickup is great though, like a mini-P

I've used the bass with the band, and would again if I had to, but I prefer a Jazz bass for it and I'm lucky enough to have the choice. If I was playing something a bit more 'vintage' in sound, or was in a modern indie band, the 'Stang would probably be my first choice.

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Not to over analyze but it sounds like you just like the jazz bass more.

My reality is that whatever I play I tend to sound the same to nearly everyone except me. The differences are negligible to the receiver of the sound so I play what is easiest and feels the best. That's why I got rid of all my "extras" and just play one.

12. I do prefer the Jazz bass, yup, I'd agree with that. The sound itself is probably only noticeable to me, too, I completely agree. Two of my points were based on the feel of the bass (scale & tension), and I maintain these are a big deal to me while playing those songs, hence why I feel the Mustang doesn't suit this band.

13. varunjh

varunjh

Aug 6, 2012
    Delhi, India
    i bought one last year and have been playing it since. i really like the shorter scale of the instrument, much more comfortable to play. i do have sharp fret edges on mine but i guess i can fix that. have put a set of la bella flats on it and i really dig the sound with the stock strings i found the low end to be a low.

im planning on upgrading mine with the nordstrand nm4 pickup and also have to fix the shielding. i generally end up playing it with the tone rolled off so im hoping that the nm4 helps in that department as it sounds a lot more punchier than the stock one and a lot sweeter too.

i run mine though a zoom b3 into a lanely combo amp and am quite happy with this setup...for now that is :bag:

14. I am really loving this new bass. I will certainly put in the time to get used to it. It is so comfortable to play and the tones I am getting are off the hook. The Duncan designed pickups are really impressing me.

15. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    The only strings I find have the right tension is heavy gauge with a minimum .110 e string. I use rotosound swing bass 66 and they have good tone and tension