1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squier VM P bass...yes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raul, Jan 16, 2012.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    I know theres lotsa threads on these basses already but i gotta ask...im thinking of one of these and maybe putting some round wound strings and a Wilde P 46 pickup...good idea? for rock funk electronica post punk etc...

Was also thinking Peavey Fury also...

i love P Bass tone with a fast smooth neck and rather slim back to front. my hands feel more comfortable around a not so fat neck...

i already have a CV 60s P Bass with TI flats, its yummy! now i want a P Bass with round wounds!!

is the VM P Bass really that nice? and with my planned upgrades, even better yes or no or what? i want a tight full muscular P Bass tone and i dont think its too important to go broke doing it...it can be done!

2. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Haven't had any problems with my VM P, fresh rounds played with a pick & it sounds perfect for rock and punk. I was going to change the pickups on mine but I'm not really convinced they need changing.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    peavey fury has a thinner neck.

4. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    My VM P bass is very nice, and that's an
    understatement. VM P goes better with
    flats.

Fury goes better with rounds.

I put Original Fender 62 pup in my Fury
    and the Fury is just better playing and
    sounding than the VM, or any P bass I
    have ever played. The Fury has a slim
    great playing neck. (a neck to die for)
    It has a killer P bass sound also.

Tabdog

5. I love the amber one.

6. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Matt Freeman Signature Squier has great tone too, might be closer to what you're looking for. Played one at GC today. Thinking I may sell the Franken P and try to pick up one of those.

7. VM P is a great bass (at least the amber version is, that's the one I have) Pickup is hot, no need to change it.

8. The amber VM P is an awesome bass. I got one last week. The pickup on it is great; I wouldn't change it. Classic P bass sound.

9. I see it's already been suggested but if your liking your CV 60's the Matt Freeman has virtually identical specs. It's just different colors and a maple fret board rather than rosewood. If you string that one with rounds you'll have basses that feel the same and play the same but sound and look slightly different.

10. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011

I agree. I have played the Matt Freeman
    and was very impressed, but I already had
    the amber VM P Bass and love it.

The Matt Freeman is lighter with a basswood
    body.

The VM P has the soft maple body.

I prefer the VM P.

They are both good choices,

Tabdog

11. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    How is the VM neck? is it wide and thick back to front? i like my necks not too thick and chunky...this bass just seems fun!
    Furys r kinda hard to find...would love to try one...is the Fury neck balanced with no head dive? ive got a Peavey Foundation it is awesome but a bit of neck dive...

i need to know what the VM neck is like...tell me...

12. The neck is standard 1 5/8 " at the nut, not too thick. To me it's just about right. But that's me.
    Here it is :
    IMG_0022.
    Any excuse I can find to show it off ...