1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM: stock pickups vs DiMarzio Ultra Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I have still the set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz I replaced with SD Hot Stacks (which I like much better) on my fretted Jazz.

I just got a Squier Fretless VM and love it but I was wondering what's in the guts of these "Duncan Designed" pickups?

I did not get any buzz when isolating either pickup, I would suspect they are buzz canceling, but they look very cheap.

They do sound ok. Especially the neck pickup, it helps getting the very distinct fretless twang.

Do you recommend I try the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz?

I mean, it's only one hour to do the swap, MAXIMUM, but I was looking for a feedback prior to doing it.

Thanks!

2. As far as I know, "Duncan Designed" pickups are SD spec, but not made in the USA. If you like the SD sound, leave well enough alone.

Then again, it's a Squier, and Squiers are meant to be modded.

3. Pretty sure the stock pups are single coil. Mine certainly buzz when solo. If you're happy with the sound, no real reason to change. If you've got the time to spare, no harm in giving the UJ's a whirl.

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I have the VM fretted Jazz, and the pickups on mine buzz when solo also. I was on the fence about the sound. They sound far better then any other squier i have heard but still something was missing. I raised the neck pickup and play with its volume at full, and turned down the bridge. This has really given it a fuller sound, but i'm also loving P basses right now so maybe thats why.
    Can't hurt to replace them right? you can always put them back!

5. dmc again

dmc again

May 14, 2006
    Elloree, SC
    i actually have ultra jazzes in my fretless Squier.. They sound okay. I could record myself playing with them if you'd like to hear it. I think they're better than the stock pickups. But then, it's been a while since I've heard the stock pickups in that bass. The ultra jazzes seem to have a good bit of bottom end to them. Not so much in the mids.... And A decent amount of treble. So, kind of a scooped sound.

I'd say it's worth a shot trying them out in that bass though.