1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Telebass pickups SUPER hot??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by masprague, Jun 13, 2007.

1. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    I picked up one of these Telebasses today, and straight into the amp it sounded full and bassy. Perfect sound.

I got it home and it seems to overload my inputs of my amp and all my pedals.

is there something I can do to limit this? it makes my Big Muff sound like a crappy synth pedal.

please help

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    What's the DCR on the pup?

Seems to overload? Distort, what?

Amp have a passive input?

At any rate, one thing you could do is drop the pup away from the strings. They'll be roughly 60% reduction in output by doubling the distance from the strings (according to Bill Lawrence) and I've found that to be about right.

3. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    well heres the deal...

i dont know the DCR

the pickup overloads my amp making it peak. the pickup also seems to overload my BM because the distortion sounds insanely synthy and weird.

the amp does have a passive input. I have fixed the amp. it works fine with my bass, but the pedals sound terrible.

the pickup is almost flat against the pickguard. The pickup is a 1 Fender Designed™ TEB 101B Humbucking Pickup

here is what the bass looks like just in case no one knows.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

where that pup is located it wouldn't need to be high output for it to be earthshaking - maximum string movement which in part I'm guessing is what's driving the pedals ape. I don't know pedals but if you're good through the amp now it sounds like to me you have a pup/pedal compatibility issue.

My guess is you'd have better luck in the pedal forum where that's probably commonplace - probably even answered from a search.

The only answer that comes to mind through the bass would be lower the pup or reduce the output coming out the jack by whatever means. Maybe some strings may make a difference. I assume it does this no matter what you do with the bass controls?

You might also check harmonycentral reviews for the bass cause it shouldn't be an uncommon experience. If it is, that tells you something.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021