1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vs Fender- What exactly is the difference,and why the price variance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daryl Selix, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Daryl Selix

Daryl Selix

Jun 11, 2017
    Hey everyone. I was just interested to know what you all knew about the differences between say the Squier Jazz bass and the standard Fender equivelent. My Squier is nice,dont really see what Id need to improve on except possibly the pickups if i wanted to,and POSSIBLY the knobs and quality. Are the tuners different? Let me know,ty

2. Enjoy what your hands and ears say are good enough for now. Maybee in a couple of years you might decide you prefer rolled edges and better fretwork or something completely different. No one needs higher cost instruments. It comes down to preference and income.

3. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    At this moment I would say the big difference to me are the Pickups although the Squieres are great machines and their quality has improved a lot. But don´t forget the best tie-breaker are your ears.

4. Daryl Selix

Daryl Selix

Jun 11, 2017
    I agree totally...I played both a Fender and The Squier I bought and I didn't see that much of a difference..I actually liked the wood that was picked out looks wise better too,even the guy at the store noticed it being a very good choice of wood used to do the burst on..that's least important,but I my try some diff pickups soon,although I gotta say,I don't really need to..I am Exceptionally surprised at the tone..this thing blew the $700+ basses outta the water IMO tone wise. Atleast the ones I tested. Including other brands. I had gotten a Mitchell M 200 and took it back in refund towards the Jazz bass and when I got home it was literally like night and day tone wise..made the Mitchell sound like a drill press into a stack of aluminum siding.lol

Alik, Lvjoebass and Freightshaker like this.
  5. Daryl Selix

Daryl Selix

Jun 11, 2017
    Totally agree..like the reply below says,these pickups we're astonishingly crisp,punchy and clear as day...I could not be any happier with my purchase.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Here we go, the never ending rationalization.

J-Bassomatic, DD Gunz, Tim1 and 12 others like this.
  7. Daryl Selix

Daryl Selix

Jun 11, 2017
    Lol

8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Imo, it lower end hardware, pickups and sometime fret work or neck feel. However this does not nessesarily translate to a "better" sound. Play them all, pick one that sounds and feels the best for you, ignore the name on the headstock.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Welcome to TB. This has been discussed thousands of times. Did you try a search??

10. FlemptonBass

FlemptonBass Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2011
    The biggest difference I can determine is the build quality of the necks. A lot more attention is paid to, say, the new American Pro's vs any number of Squiers. HOWEVER both lemons and gems can come from both.

Other than that, the hardware and electronics are just cheaper.

I own three Squier P basses (VM, CV, and Matt Freeman) and I love them all. Only thing I have done to any of them is change the pickup and the bridge. The Matt Freeman is bones stock.

The only American Fender I've ever really found myself wanting is the Am. pro

Lvjoebass, Daryl Selix and nonohmic like this.
  11. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    +1 and yes this is often debated wth passion from both sides. If you are fairly new to the bass than ill leave you with these questions and "The middle Path". Can you drive to point A and point B in a Chevy Cruze(or insert used POS car of choice) and Cadillac or BMW, are they both capable of going 60mph to get you to your next destination? Is a more expensive car sometime more comfortable, luxurious, efficient, etc, are those amenities important to you and/or can you afford even them at this point in time?

Jeremy9874, 6Bass101 and Ghastly like this.
  12. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    As stated, the Squiers generally have cheaper feeling hardware (tuners, bridge) electronics, the fretwork hasn't been detailed as much, the wood choices and finishes are at a lower quality, and quality control isn't as good as the American built basses.

That being said, they are still good basses, and a good buy for the money. There are always exceptions in all categories regarding good and bad basses, but in general they aren't in the same category at all.

And this is coming from a person that has owned, and still owns squires, made in Japan,Mexico, and American Fender basses.

lancimouspitt and BassLover668 like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    picard%20nooo_zpsqxb8zohm.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The exact difference is exactly four letters. :p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  15. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I have a Chinese Fender Modern Player jazz bass that, frankly, is a fantastic sounding bass and it looks and feels nice. I also own a few American Fenders and I can most definitely see and feel a difference in quality. I love them all but prefer some of the details found on the American basses.

_sky_, gsgbass and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    MIA have better woods, hardware, pickups and workmanship. Having said that, I purchased a Squier so my son could learn to play and I was impressed with the sound and quality for the price.

17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    It will still take off to 14 pages. Watch.

18. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Fender is easier to spell correctly.

12BitSlab, JGbassman, McFly and 6 others like this.
  19. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Squier > Fender.

amidoingitrite?

20. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Does it have a tort pickguard?

Count Bassie, bass nitro and kobass like this.