1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier with big Fender logo or what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by activa44, Dec 17, 2018.

1. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Hi guys!

First post here, so pardon if I do something horribly wrong... I've been following this forum for long and it's really nice. I decided I might as well subscribe to it and post my doubts, when I have 'em!

So:

Watch this video (well: not all if you hate the music, just the parts where the bass is shown). I forever thought that was a Squier Precision SQ, hence I started looking for that bass model (and here someone can say ''yeah, to distort it like that, any bass will do'', I don't care, the amount of distortion alters the bass sound, yeah, but still that's got a lot of low-end and presence [so mids...?]) Yesterday, anyway, I noticed some differences between the SQ and that bass... the dark line behind the SQs neck isn't there and also, the truss rod opening isn't on the headstock and the big logo seems more like the Fender one, than the Squier. But I can't find any Fender with that fretboard color and body color!

Does anybody know what bass is that, then?
    Also, does anybody know if the pickup in that bass... be it Fender or Squier, could be the same that was used on the Squier SQ series? If the bass isn't the same but the pickup is, I don't care... I've read on forums here that the SQ is still a very high-quality bass, so I only care about that bastard of a pickup. The SQ was made in 83 and 84, if I made my homeworks right... and that would be appropriate to guess he used one to record Horrified (1986) and play the live shows from that era. But the differences say it isn't...

What do the Fender/Squier experts on here think?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It's a Fender....here's a picture, you can make out the logo. Pickups aren't stock though.
    repulsion-3.

3. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    That's a different bass.
    He switched to that one in recent days.

Watch the video and you'll see it's very different.
    Also because it's very beaten up... he probably doesn't own the bass of the good ol' days anymore.

4. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    These two pictures are closer to the era of the video I linked.

That bass seems very similar to the one in the video, but it's full of stickers so it's probably a different one once again (or he might have removed them)...
    They're also too small and bad quality to say anything, anyway.

Attached Files:

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Ah..you're right. I can't tell what color it is from the video, but that's not a MIM Squier nor is it a MIM Fender. It's looks like either a MIA Fender which does have the truss rod at the heel instead of the headstock, or maybe a Squier JV (made in Japan) P bass which doesn't have the stripe down the back of the neck.
    here's the back of a 1984 Squier JV P Bass neck and the headstock. Truss rod is at the heel.
    squierjv. jvneck.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    And these two photos are a Squier SQ and a crop from the video I linked.

In the crop that seems like a Fender logo, but still, no such Fender exists, it seems (or existed in the 80s).
    It hasn't got the truss rod opening there either and the thing other thing I circled in red in the SQ is closer to where I made the black circle, on the bass in the vid (and just above the logo, then).

Attached Files:

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This one?
    10-E01231-1573-4-E26-9-CEF-4553-D5735833.

8. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    What does MIM and MIA mean? (sorry...)

9. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    That one is what Maxdust linked.

Anyway I guess MIA is Made in America. What's MIM?

10. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    You can see the same bass here, anyway, if that helps:

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Made In Mexico.

12. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    ah, ok, thanks.

Anyway is it possible that 83-84 (I guess that's when he got that bass...) Fenders got the same pickup as the SQ series?

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I edited my post above, could also be something like a 1984 Squier JV P Bass (Made in Japan). Truss rod is at the heel not the headstock, no stripe on the back of the neck, available in black with rosewood fretboard.
    Fender-Japan-Squier-JV-Precision-Bass-1984-Black-big.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks like Fender at 7:51.

digmeout and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You've got the eyes of a....well, hawk! good catch, it does look like the "F" of the Fender logo.

Spidey2112 and jd56hawk like this.
  16. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    It's not very clear on that video either, anyway.
    I'm still not sure it's a Fender, although very probable.

Anyway I didn't know they made the black on black JV. It could be a JV as well... uhm...

Are there Fenders from the 80s with all those features?

17. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    And does anybody know if the pickups are different between the SQ, JV and the Fenders?

I think I saw on a site that old Fenders and Squiers, stock, had Seymour Duncan Ps.
    Surely not the same as the ones today on the market, but did they actually mount different pick-ups depending on the Precision versions?

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You should see him on the golf course... I haven't bought golf balls, in years...

Wisebass, Inky13 and Maxdusty like this.
  19. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    hahahaha

20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It could also be a US made Fender but with a replacement black pickguard. I have 3 different color pickguards for my P bass so it's not uncommon to change them. That would account for what looks like the Fender logo on the headstock, the truss rod adjustment on the heel and also the lack of the stripe. Could very well be a MIA Fender with a switched out pickguard from the looks of it. Credit to the incredible eyesight of a certain Mr. Hawk.

In terms of the pickups, Squier, MIM Fender, MIA Fender have different pickups. In terms of quality standard, the MIA would have the best ones, the Squier having the more inexpensive ones - pretty much coincides with their price tier for their models although I don't think they were Seymour Duncan at any point. My Squier VM fretless Jazz bass had Seymour Duncan designed pickups on it - but not the same nor anywhere near as good as real Seymour Duncan pickups. I had a MIM P Bass and put Seymour Duncan quarterpound pickups on it and it sounded pretty darn good.

DJ Bebop likes this.