Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. fenderbassman

Sep 13, 2005

I have been playing guitar for a year and deicded maybe I should play bass. I was looking at that Squier pack. Is it a good option?
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

I'd say go to http://www.rondomusic.net and pick up one of their packs. It'll be cheaper and the bass quality will be about equal, if not better. The amp will suck either way, but it's fine for learning on and then makes a good bedroom amp for quiet playing when you upgrade.

There's a megathread in here about sx/essex basses from rondomusic, general concensus is that they're the best cheap basses you'll find.
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I take it back. They only offer package deals with their shortscale basses.

Get an SX bass and either a cheap SX amp, or pick up a cheapo amp locally to get you started. Most stores (guitar center) have a little bass amp for like $50 or less every time they have a sale.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I beg to differ. Squiers are great basses. That is, if you get a hit. It's a hit and miss. My Squier is one of the best basses i've ever played.

5. SX, rondomusic.net. can be $80 cheaper than a squier and i've heard is way better, but its kind of a hit or miss thing, but squiers a hit or miss thing too
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Had nothing but good thigns to say about my SX (and the Agile I bought afterwards).
  7. Skip the Squire. It's less like "hit or miss" and more like "almost or miss". The SX's I've played are easily the superior choice in that price range.
  8. Maybe find a decent used jazz or p-bass in the price range your looking for...I wouldnt buy a cheap Ibenez or Squier...
    Many times you get what you pay for.... better saving up and getting something you will stick with and play
  9. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I've had both Squiers and SX and think the SX is the much better deal. Less money for a better bass.