1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squiers... How the heck to tell the diff between CV/VM/Affinity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marial, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I have a couple of Squiers and I have no idea if they're VM, CV, Affinity, or what models. Any way to tell the difference? I'm just on a low-key mission to figure out exactly what my basses are.

The fretless jazz is brand new and came with Seymore Duncan pick ups. I have no idea what year the '51 Precision is and the previous owner changed out the neck...

Any help/tips great appreciated! :help:

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Your fretless is a VM
    The '51 P is a CV, i think. The orig neck has a glossier finish than the VM's
    Is it the one with the blue body?

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... or, you could just post several pics of each and you would get more info than you ever wanted to know .. :)

4. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
  5. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Point!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bag:

6. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    CV is made in China ....Affinity is indonesia ....that's a start .....if i'm not mistaken, there are only a few CV models ....a couple P and J? not totally sure....

CVs have the wooden truss rod access where as mexis and most other squires have black plastic ...just another eye mark ....also, CV all have the fairly thick old school neck finish ...Affinity is more satin ...

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The first is a Squier Classic Vibe 50's P, although the body is usually a bit more transparent than your finish appears ... also it looks like there was a headstock refin, with a Fender waterslide applied ... or, it may be a MIJ '51P neck on that Squier body ... the bridge on an actual '51P, and the MIJ '51RI P use the two saddle bridge I believe, and this bridge is the same one as used on the CV 60's Jazz, with the brass saddles ... it is not interchangeable, BTW with a Fender or Squier stock (vintage) 5 hole bridge, as the screw holes and string spacing is slightly wider on this one ... if you have a serial # on that neck, it will tell you for sure ... the stems on the tuners look longer than the would on a Squier neck, but turned the way they are, it could be an illusion ...

.. the second pic is of a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless bass, with the Ebanol fretboard and the Duncan Design pups ... I have had a few of these, they are very nice, great value for someone wanting an inexpensive fretless ...

.. I am curious as to the weight of your '50s P .. I have not had one, and have read they can be very light ... (7+ pound range) ...

Edit to add: ... after looking at the pic of the '50s again, I am quite sure it is a waterslide/refin rather than an actual '51 P neck, even without knowing the serial # ... the Fender logo on an actual/RI '51 does not run parallel with the strings as this one does, it slopes downward, more parallel to the tuners ... tough to see though with my old eyes, as it is very faint in the pic ...

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Listen to this one, this is my go to guy for ANYTHING about these basses, and I've asked more than my fair share of noob questions.
    He's yet to be even slightly off.

I've scored some great basses I really really enjoy thanks to his advice. Just my $0.02

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have had several of the CV 60's J's ... I think they all had plastic truss rod accesses (at headstock) ... they almost look more very dark brown though ...

Edit to add: ... 1Shot, you are too kind ... but I think you better hang onto that .02, with all the great basses you have been buying ... :)

10. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've a CV60 P bass. The Fiesta red variant. No plastic cover over the truss rod access. The area around the hole is coated with some clear epoxy, so the egdes of the hole are not sharp as on that CV50 in the picture.

11. To tell the difference between a Squier and an Affinity is this:

1. Affinity basses will have the word "Affinity" written really small near the D string tuner.

Sometimes this will be rubbed, scratched, or sanded off. So.....

2. On the headstock of the Squier P-bass "Precision Bass" will be written out fully.
    On the headstock of the Affinity P-bass it will just say "P-Bass".

This is also similar with the "Jazz Bass" on Squier headstocks and "J-Bass" for the Affinities.

12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I have the same bass and I think that clear epoxy is just the finish covering the plastic sleeve typically found at the truss rod access point, giving it the appearance of being more than just a plastic sleeve.
    I could be wrong though but that was my take on it.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Any affinity I've ever seen has always been out on the very end of the head stock center of the rounded end below and further forward of the G tuning peg.

But we're talking all of a one inch difference in location here.
    I've never seen one under the D Peg though.

14. Oh yeah my error, it's the G string peg.:D

15. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

The '51 has a replacement neck. I bought it from a fellow TBer (who I haven't seen post since the transaction) and he put the Fender decal on it. I'm not normally a fan of P necks but that one is fantastic, Unfortunately I don't know who the manufacturer is. Only bummer is the vintage style frets. Eventually it's going to get a Lollar pup and a fretless neck. For some reason I think that bass is going to sound phenomenal as a fretless. Btw, it is VERY light. I haven't weighed it but it feels almost as light as a '66 Jazz I had for a while.

The VM Jazz is also very light. It needs some serious neck work, though. I'm digging the tone but above the octive it is just dead, especially on the A and D strings, but pretty much across the board. I don't know if it's 'sky jump' or what. I'll probably replace the neck at some point anyway. Otherwise I love it.

Both basses, from the standpoint of bang-for-buck, are probably some of the best I've ever owned. From an overall quality standpoint? My Hwy One smokes them both out of the box. I still dig them and once I'm done with the mods they'll be truly great instruments customized to my preferences for a fraction of the cost of an American Standard. Having turned into a cheapskate as I've gotten older, that counts for a lot.

Anyhow, thanks for the information, it's nice to know what the beasties actually are.

16. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Another way to tell, is to visit the website and compare. The Squier VM line have very plain necks, satin finish and no tint. They basically look unfinished and all have a Seymour Duncan PUPs.

-The CV basses all have a tinted neck with a glossy finish, they have unmarked PUPs.

- The Affinity/standard basses have 'unfinished' necks like the VMs but the PUPs are unmarked and they should say affinity/standard on the headstock, these basses are generally a bit cheaper in price and feel/sound.

Usually if it feels special, or 'better then you remember a squier to feel/sound' then its a CV or a VM.

17. To be more precise, they are "Duncan Designed" pickups, they are made to Seymour Duncan's specs by a foreign maker (Korean, I think). Saying they are Seymour Duncan pickups implies they are made by SD, they are not. Not that it matters all that much to me personally, I think they are great pickups, I just want to make sure those who don't know are not left with the wrong impression.

18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    If what your saying is true, it's appreciated I was definitely under the impression they were in fact SD P'ups ......agreed it matters little as they do sound great especially when the cost in general is considered.

It's just nice to know the facts and the little things do definitely matter.

19. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Never tried a VM Squier with these SD pups, but I like the unbranded pups on my CV60 p bass. Nice and warm sound. some day that these pups sound more like the old Fenders then the new MIA ones which have a bit more modern tone.

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I myself never got to hear the original pups in my CV P Bass, the original owner had already swapped em out for Bass Lines QP's
    No clue which is better, but it sounds good.