1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier's Vintage Modified Jazz Bass buzzing at last fret.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by d_1_stortion, Feb 22, 2019.

1. d_1_stortion

d_1_stortion

Feb 22, 2019
    Hello!

I'm having wierd problems with my bass. I've realised that I get buzz sound even if I fret on the last fret. But I've tried pressing down the strings at bridge and freting the last fret but the buzz persists. It's really wierd because strings don't hit anything as far as I can see.

I get the same kind of buzz on all frets and even on open strings. But it's the same kind of sound as of the last fret. So the buzz must be coming from the bridge? If I pluck the string really hard it produces different kind of buzz.

My bass has as far as I know perfect setup. Trustrod has spacing between fretted frets at 1st and 17th around 0.5mm spacing. String height is 2.4mm at E and A, and 2.1mm on string D and G on 17th fret. Frets are leveled, but not crowned perfetly, they have a but of flat surface, but that should not induce buzz.

Anyone had the same problems?

Thank you for any answers! :)

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Try changing the intonation screws from round head to oval head.

CatchaCuda and d_1_stortion like this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It may sound like the buzz is coming from the bridge, but it could possibly be coming from one or more of the tuners. Grab the key of each tuner as you pluck the string and see if the buzz stops.

danster and tlite like this.
  4. d_1_stortion

d_1_stortion

Feb 22, 2019
    I've tried to press onto these screws and it seems that this is the problem. So changing to oval ones would help?

5. d_1_stortion

d_1_stortion

Feb 22, 2019
    Well, I've been trying a few times more but it doesn't seem to help when pressing on screws. But I'm 100% sure that the buzzing is coming from bridge, on all strings on all frets.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Springs on intonation screws.

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It may, the round head screw has a flat bottom on the head and can sit crooked on the plate. The oval head screw has a taper on the underside of the head and the spring will ensure it centers itself in the hole.

8. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    You've probably already checked this but make sure your pickups aren't touching the string while you're depressing the strings on the last fret.

9. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    ^^^^ THIS

10. d_1_stortion

d_1_stortion

Feb 22, 2019
    The buzz is coming 100% from brigde. Knowing that it buzzes on last fret, it cant be anything on headstock right?

11. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Not to say that's what it is, but yes, it still can. Sympathetic frequency vibrations cause this.

That said, if you think it's the bridge- probably worth focusing on that hardware - looking at the springs, screws, any loose metal, etc.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you suspect a spring on the bridge, remove it and gently stretch it a bit.

13. d_1_stortion

d_1_stortion

Feb 22, 2019
    bridge or string?

fhm555 likes this.
  14. I've run across loose grubs... If you have some beeswax under your bench, take out the grub, rake it on the beeswax to load it up and screw it back in...

15. Loading grub threads with wax will also protect the threads a bit from corrosion so you don't have to do the soldering iron trick to try to loosen the grub way down the road...

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The tension spring on the intonation screw(s)

17. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been meet same issue on my Squier CV bass’s himass brass saddle bridge.

Problem found cause by vabration in between saddle and saddle. A thin paper solve the problem.