Squire 5-string p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ketch27, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    I just bought this today and I got a great deal on it. But the pickups suck IMO. They are split like on a jazz. What's up with that on a p-bass?
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I´ve got the same bass.
    I would suggest you to get new strings, they make the whole bass better. I like it now...

The P-Bass has a Split-Coil Pickup in the bridge position.

It looks like this:

While the J-Bass Pickups look like this:

Understand ?

3. The squier 5 string P-bass, if it is the bass I am thinking of, does not have exposed pole pieces on the pups. This is because Fender/Squier threw some 4 string pups :eek::eek::eek: onto a five string bass. If you remove the pup cover (the black outer shell) you will reveal that there are only 8 pole pieces, and almost no magnetic coverage of your B and G strings. It is however fixable, most people have fixed it by slapping on some smallish washers inbetween each pole pair to even them out.. this is of course if the bass is the one that I thinking of, I am pretty sure that its it.. that may be a reason that the pups suck so hard... Fender is too cheap to put 5'ers in them ! :mad: :mad:
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    When a 5 string bass has a street price of $250 you can only do so much. Check the price of some 5 string pups and see how much of that $250 you spend.

We would all love a $250 RB5! :D
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those basses have the best B string of any budget(under $400) 5 that I have played. Too bad about the pickups.

If you go over to the Fender discussion board, there is a thread on how to convert the pickups with washers the way that HWK2 mentioned.
  6. Hey, I'm not asking for much, but to cover up the pups pole pieces so you can't tell is just low. I'm sorry, I like my Fenders alot, but that is just low.. I mean I love the bass, the B is great, but I'd be willing to pay some more money for 'working' pups.. thats just me. Sell it for $400 as is, with fender 5'er pups and I'd be happy as all hell. Oh wait, lol they do, its called the Fender Standard Jazz 5 String.. :D The mod is cheap and easy anyway, so for 250 that is a damn good bass :)
  7. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    How'd you know it was 250?
    Well, maybe I'm just used to the Bartos in my 4-string. I'll invest in some new ones and do what you said. That really pisses me off that they couldnt put in good ones. I'll take a look at it later to see if they look too small.

David, what kind of strings did you get and what sizes?