Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire 5 string p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sevenbass, Mar 17, 2002.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Recently I purchased a used squire 5 string p-bass.
    supprissing enough it is a very good bass. The wierd thing is I never heard of a 5 string p bass. Have I been under a rock or is it something you dont find every day? Its got gold hardware, dual soap bar pick ups, pearlized pick guard, and a rather high quality translucent crimison red finish. I could be wrong here but the body seems to be swamp ash or alder body. It is high quality for a Squire, actually it would be a quality true fender bass. Is there any one out there who has one like this or even seen one. The serial number is
    KC97118445. Ihave heard of a 5 string J-bass but never a 5 string P-bass. Anyone have any ideas?
    This bass has a wonderful sound imop. Thanks for any info you can provide. I plan to post a pic soon.
    Also can the date of manufacture be determined from the serial number?

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Howdy,

I've seen that bass many times a few years ago. I tried them out severl times and they seems to be a pretty solid basses. The weight is a bit much, and the neck is pretty wide, but they really seem like pretty good 5 strings especially given the cash.

The body is supposed to be ash and does look it. Given the low price, I'd think that they must have used several pieces of a lighter wood and then glued on an ash veneer on the top and back (even the US models were doing that on their "plus" series axes back then!).

Its a passive bass with what looks like 2 soap bar pickups, but I think if you took off those covers those pickups are actually P pickups (don't know for sure).

That bass only came in that see-thur red color. Nice, color, but not really me, ya know?

Fender stopped making that model. They do have a Squire Preciesion 5, but now the bass comes in flat colors, it has a pickgard like regular P bases but it uses 2 J-pickups! I think yr bass is much MUCH nicer than the new ones. I don't know what those Fender folks were thinking changing it. Then again, maybe it cost to much to make. I mean, even brand new, those basses were pretty inexpensive.

So, aside from the weight, and that hefty neck, I say you did pretty well for yrself. Hold yr head up high!

Good luck,

Ron

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with Ron. You snagged yourself a nice bass there. The new Squier 5 string Precision is nowhere near the instrument that you have.