1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire 5 string p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sevenbass, Mar 17, 2002.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Recently I purchased a used squire 5 string p-bass.
    supprissing enough it is a very good bass. The wierd thing is I never heard of a 5 string p bass. Have I been under a rock or is it something you dont find every day? Its got gold hardware, dual soap bar pick ups, pearlized pick guard, and a rather high quality translucent crimison red finish. I could be wrong here but the body seems to be swamp ash or alder body. It is high quality for a Squire, actually it would be a quality true fender bass. Is there any one out there who has one like this or even seen one. The serial number is
    KC97118445. Ihave heard of a 5 string J-bass but never a 5 string P-bass. Anyone have any ideas?
    This bass has a wonderful sound imop. Thanks for any info you can provide. I plan to post a pic soon.
    Also can the date of manufacture be determined from the serial number?

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Howdy,

I've seen that bass many times a few years ago. I tried them out severl times and they seems to be a pretty solid basses. The weight is a bit much, and the neck is pretty wide, but they really seem like pretty good 5 strings especially given the cash.

The body is supposed to be ash and does look it. Given the low price, I'd think that they must have used several pieces of a lighter wood and then glued on an ash veneer on the top and back (even the US models were doing that on their "plus" series axes back then!).

Its a passive bass with what looks like 2 soap bar pickups, but I think if you took off those covers those pickups are actually P pickups (don't know for sure).

That bass only came in that see-thur red color. Nice, color, but not really me, ya know?

Fender stopped making that model. They do have a Squire Preciesion 5, but now the bass comes in flat colors, it has a pickgard like regular P bases but it uses 2 J-pickups! I think yr bass is much MUCH nicer than the new ones. I don't know what those Fender folks were thinking changing it. Then again, maybe it cost to much to make. I mean, even brand new, those basses were pretty inexpensive.

So, aside from the weight, and that hefty neck, I say you did pretty well for yrself. Hold yr head up high!

Good luck,

Ron

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with Ron. You snagged yourself a nice bass there. The new Squier 5 string Precision is nowhere near the instrument that you have.