1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire 60s Classic Vibe P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Hey everyone I picked up this bass about a year ago now and have been playing it a lot. It has rounds on it and I plan on switching to flats once these strings die down a bit more. Unfortunately its taken the back seat to my number one bass. It just doesn't have enough UMPH (not loud enough). I can't give it a name because I thinks its a parts bass. Like a Musicman with the single Basslines H pup but passive with 2 tones and a volume. Its a long story how I came to own it but Its been my only bass ever since my first bass was stolen 7 years ago. I want the P bass to be my smooth bass that sings and caresses the sound. My other bass is for the grunt and growl. Should I upgrade to the Seymour SPB-1 and new electronics? What other options without adding an active EQ or crazy amounts of money?

2. I don't know about the Classic Vibe P-Bass, but I've played the CV J-Bass, and it's a fine bass. Usually with Squiers it's a good idea to change the electronics to better quality items, like CTS pots and better pickups. I think the SPB-1 or similar quality and a good set of flats should get you that smooth sound you're looking for.

3. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I had one of these in Sonic Blue - fit and finish were beautiful. It had a problem right out of the box - the tone control did not work. I replaced the pots with CTS, put a Sprague orange drop, and replaced the pickup with a Seymour Duncan - BIG improvement. After playing a Precision bass from 1971 until 1980, this bass just did not "fit" me anymore. I found myself playing my Jazz almost exclusively, and sold the CV 60's Precision earlier this year - Regrets - yes, a few. It sounded really good, and played like a dream. I just find that the Jazz is a better fit for me now.

4. Thanks guys for the quick replies. So I'm going to go with 250k pots the SPB-1 and a .05 uf cap. Does that sound proper? And then a set of TI flats hopefully will fit the bill. I couldn't find any info on Duncan's website for the cap but fender said it was .05uf

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Spb-1 all the way....or fender 62 reissues

6. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I used a Sprague .047MF in mine (I think that is correct !)
    CTS 250K pots

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    +1 I did this exactly, makes a big difference in tone.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    That's basically a .047, which is the standard you'll find when ordering.

I find the stock pups in the CV to have plenty of oomph; not quite as hot as the VM jaguar I have, but definitely more volume than my jazz bass. Maybe your other bass has overwound pickups?

One thing to be aware of when replacing the pickup is that the plastic covers may not match up exactly with the pickguard cutout. You may have to use the covers from the stock pickups.

9. thanks for the warning there. I may just try the string replacement first. But it just didn't seem like a full sound to me from the pickups and when I rolled the tone down I didn't find a difference from what I was hearing at the beginning. So maybe I'll check out the wiring too before I drop the cash. College kid here what are you gonna do lol