1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Active Jazz Deluxe V or Pecision V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Get the Squire!

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Make Paul Jackson Proud and get the Precision!

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Stay the hell out of the music store and practice!

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Set up autopay with the store since I know I will always want more.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just put away a Squire Active Jazz Deluxe V because I ran across of very nice sunburst one, and I really the wide and flat neck, it reminds me very much of a Sadowsky. The price is great too, I could have picked it up on the spot, but I prefer layaways since it keeps my cash flow maximized.:) That said, I played a new Precision, and it was awesome! It got that chunky P-bass slap tone I love, and it easily evoked that Paul Jackson sort of tone that I find irresistable.:hyper:
    A five string is only $1,150 too. That is a bit more than I want to spend but I think the new Fenders are basses that are as close to perfect for me as I will ever find at my price point. A J & P five plus my Sadowsky outboard for when I want to be active would be heavenly.

Should I change my layaway into an order for a P-bass or should I save my money and enjoy that Squire?

2. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    All I can say is I Have the Squire v deluxe in black, I did the passive mod on it to play in passive, and I am 100 percent satisfied with it. No its not going to be in the same cat as a 1000 plus bass and should not be, unless we are all getting railroaded, but I really enjoy playing mine. It is what it is, a very very very good playing bass for under 200 bucks. The rest for the most part are is in the player.

I think you should get it before the makers of that bass find out they put out a really good product but charged too little for it, or even worse, it gets discontinued.......pic of mine below.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96365&d=1215359175

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    There's your answer dude. I predict the Squier will only be a temporary fix for your P5 craving.

Get the P5.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang, Fire-Starter! That is sweet!:cool:

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I voted for the P5. It's what you want, for sure.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    C'mon. The answer here is too simple. Get them both. At $300 for the Squier it's not going to hurt all that much. If it does you can get one or both of them used and spend the same or less than you originally intended. :)

7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    You'll always be thinking of the P-5, and your love for the Squire will wither and die.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This one would be cool!

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Cheese:
    I've played one like the one in your photos. It the shizzle; fer-real. The American Stardard Series is a great big step forward for Fender.

11. that new P-5 is soooo cool!

I have the Squier AJD V and it also...SOOO cool!

so, get them to knock ~$200 off the P-5 and get both...

dilemna solved, until your next visit to a music shop...

ohhh...and please, DO practice ;)

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I also voted P5, 'cause that's what you want. Never sell yourself short, go for what your heart desires. (in all things)

13. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    PilbaraBass, did you ever put that pre-amp mod you were going to build into your Squier yet, or are you still using the stock one?...I would love to hear it with a diff preamp, although I am pretty ok with the stock one.

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've been eying those P-5's myself, maybe some day when the recession is over if the energy crisis hasn't left us in the stone age. :meh:

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I will get both and the Squier will be first.:hyper:

16. Not yet, I'm pretty OK with the stock one, too...except that I'd really love to have a passive roll-off and a little bit more "response" from the tone controls.

I've decided to go this way.

1) Put the passive bypass in the bass. (this would take it straight from the blend to the jack)
    2) Build the preamp as an outboard to tweak.
    3) Once I'm convinced it's worth it, I'll make the switch to onboard (maybe ;) )

17. excellent!

18. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Looking fwd to your side by side pics.:hyper:

19. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Does this mean you're canceling next year's Sadowsky shop tour:smug::eek:?

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm still going.:) I love my Sadowsky outboard preamp and I may well get a Sadowsky preamp w/VTC for the Squier. I have come to the conclusion that I love Sadowskys, but I just don't make enough from playing to justify buying one.

Truth is that I am rethinking getting anything at all. My Fender sounded so great today during our special Men's Day service that I honestly don't need another Jazz like the Squier. Since I already have a Sadowsky outboard, an active jazz bass seems a touch redundant. The Precision V still seems like a good idea because it will provide a fundamentally different vibe from the Jazz, and it would work great with the Sadowsky preamp also. The question is do I really want to spend the money? I guess I could sell my 55-02, but it is a very nice bass in its own right.:meh:

The bottom line is that my 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz V has simply left me more satisfied than I have ever been with a bass. The Sadowsky allows me to really dial in a perfect active tones which makes it an even better package. Even my little Markbass combo is giving me better tone than any previous amp I have owned. As a man with perpetual GAS, it really feels weird to be this happy with what I have. I was shocked when that Sadowsky GAS faded when I got my Fender back when I did the weekend swap with a TB'er.:eek: