Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire: Affinity or Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buh_Sheeky, Aug 7, 2004.

1. :help: I need another bass for jazz combo, and I don't think my Rogue 5 string is going to cut it. I have a very tight budget and I was looking at getting a Squire Standard Jazz bass, but then I saw the Affinity at a lower price and I'm all like, as far as I'm concerned they are almost the same, they didn't list any differences, they basically said the same d*mn thing :scowl: . So I'm wondering what's the difference, should I spend the extra $40 for Standard or go all cheapie and get the Affinity? Is there another jazz bass anyone can suggest within that price range? Thanks! :help:

2. Spend the extra for the Standard.

3. well, i would guess you will be getting a quality (sound, construction) lower than a regular squier...
    personally i would recommend essex click here!

or get the 5 string for 30 bucks more. now click here!
    i think just about any essex will beat squier in every catagory.
    you actually have more choices than those two, just go to rondomusic.com and find a bass thats better than a squier

4. O_O Wow superbassman2000!!! That looks really nice!!!...now how well do they sound? :eyebrow:
    ...wait...they're 30 lbs!?!?! :hyper: Excersise for me!!!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shipping weight is 30 pounds. Actual weight is about 9.

THey sound 100x better than a Squier btw.

6. Heh, heh, sorry I just saw that now... :oops: uh, yeah...

thanks for the input, I think I'll go for the 5-string!!! :D

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    SX?

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Essex. Go ahead, buy a couple.

9. they sound great...as figjam said...they sound 100x better than anything in the same price range...easily

Charlie