1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Affinity P-Bass Body w/ MIM P-Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JPMKE, Jul 6, 2017.

1. JPMKE

JPMKE

Jul 6, 2017
    Hello, I've struggled to find consensus on this on the internet.

The body is a 2013 Squire Affinity by Fender P-Bass (MIC) and the neck is a brand new MIM stock neck from Fender someone is willing to sell to me dirt cheap but I'd have to drive quite far to pick it up.

Will the MIM neck have fitting issues? Some places say not at all, others suggest there might be millimeter differences in hole placement and pocket depth/width. Can anyone speak to this based on experience?

Warhawk likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    Not for China specifically, but Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico and USA are all interchangeable these days, why wouldn't China?

Warhawk, JPMKE and Jason Harris like this.
  3. JPMKE

JPMKE

Jul 6, 2017
    I would tend to agree with you, that seems very sensible. There's always that one guy who is like "no they will be slightly off" on like every thread I have visited. Maddening haha...

Jason Harris likes this.
  4. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    If it's cheap go for it!
    I wouldn't see why it won't fit.
    Maybe look up the dimensions for both but other then that go for i!

JPMKE likes this.
  5. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I can speak on this from experience. I've sold various basses that I've assembled from parts.
    I have assembled Squier bass bodies with MIM Fender necks and have not had any problems.
    If you can get it cheap, it is well worth the gamble. Besides, even if the holes don't line up
    perfectly, well cut dowels can solve the problem.

Warhawk, JPMKE and Jason Harris like this.
  6. JPMKE

JPMKE

Jul 6, 2017
    No issues with how it sits in pocket? Like gaps on either of the 3 sides, or the neck sitting too high or low for the bridge?

Warhawk likes this.
  7. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I never had
    I never ran into those issues.

Warhawk likes this.
  8. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Here's the simple answer: Neck-to-body fit, yes. Neck screw hole placement, possibly not. Here's the simpler answer - get the neck, if the holes don't match up, fill them, redrill the pilot holes. No problem, especially at a steal price.

9. BTYogurt

BTYogurt Suffers from G.A.S.

Dec 16, 2016
    Longmont, CO
    My MiM Pbass neck doesn't fit particularly well into my Squier Pbass body. There's a fair bit of gap on all sides of the neck. YMMV

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021