1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Affinity P-Bass worth $100??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Sep 8, 2008.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Got a guy on the local craigslist selling an affinity p-bass. He'll let it go for $100.

Everything I've read has pretty much bashed the quality on this version but for that price Im considering it.

My first bass is going to be delivered today but I wouldn't mind having a couple laying around for variety.

2. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    IMO I don't think you can go wrong w/the Squier. Depending on the year of that model, they really weren't too bad! I myself had an Affinity P as my first bass. It was very servicable. No, it definately is no prom queen, but you shouldn't be ashamed taking her to the dance! I loved mine, and played her to death until I got the bug to go active and go lower w/a 5 string!

My advice would be:

Take some 1200 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite and smooth the back of the neck.
    Re-oil the neck.
    Have the fret ends dressed really nicely.
    Get some good strings.
    Have a GOOD set up done.
    Save your money for a decent rig and lessons.
    Play your heart out!!!

Hope that helps!

3. The squier's not a bad bass, but for that price you can usually do better simply by looking through a local pawn shop...

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Its close - $125 with shipping. Is the quality that much better?

5. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    The Squier Affinity might be a good bass, but for $100 you might be able to get a little bit better Squier. I got a Squier P Bass Special (Standard Series, a little step up from the Affinity) in near new shape for $97 plus tax, but I've seen Squier P basses for as low as $70-$80 in pawn shops. Oddly enough, I seldom see a Squier Jazz bass in the pawn shop, its almost always P basses.

6. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    With those basses it's usually a bass by bass quality issue. In other words, it's either a good one or it ain't. Take a look because it might just be a sweet one. I bought a new Squier 5 string Jazz for $227 & took it on tour to France last month. I put a Hipshot bridge & some flatwounds on it & it absolutely rocks. I did have it set up by a real good guitar tech. I feel no pain taking it to any gig.

7. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    meh, I think I'll pass on it and just check the pawn shops. Guy lives like 60 miles away anyway and in an '07 Mustang that's about $15 worth of gas and over an hour each way :)

8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The conventional wisdom on Squier is that, in general, Vintage Modified is good, Standard is okay, and Affinity is fair/poor.

9. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Yeah, I see your point. They're all over the place anyway & it would be better to try a bunch at the same place till you find a good one. As far as an entry level bass goes, a good one is well worth the money. Compared to the instruments that many of us older guys started with, they're much nicer & easier to play. Of course, one must remember that there were very few competent guitar techs back then as well.