1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Squire Affinity vs. Fender P Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Dec 1, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I have a Squire P right now and am thining abou getting a Fender P MIM. Is it worth it? How much of a step up is it? What are the best feature of the Fender vs. the Affinity?
    I like the feel and play of the squire but it sounds ****ty and has such unmentioned features as incurable buzz on certain strings and insanely noisy pickups and electronics.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have both a Squire (p-special) and a Fender MIM J. While I like both the MIM is a better instrument. My Squire lacks the problems your's suffers so I would think that a $25 setup would be in order. You could also replace the pickups which would improve the sound significantly. I think that the electronics are better on a MIM when compared to the Squire. Also, they use Alder for the body wood on a MIM, while the Affinity uses Agathis. This gives the MIM a somewhat better tone. Remember that the Affinity is the lowest level of quality within the Squire line. A Squire Standard is a better instrument and would compare more favourably to a MIM, though not quite.

But yes, the MIM is better. :)

Dan

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The move to the mim bass would be a great inprovement. The new basses(2002) are made of alder and basically need nothing. any mode done after that is pure personalization imho. I have two mim basses 1st one a 2002 and the other bought used just so I can mod it, but it sounds fine so it is still stock. also the build quality on the mim bass is a whole lot better.

4. Be careful about which bass you get though, you might end up with a crapper. Go down to a store near you and try out the P's first. Make sure you get a good one.