Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire Affinity vs. Fender P Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Dec 1, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I have a Squire P right now and am thining abou getting a Fender P MIM. Is it worth it? How much of a step up is it? What are the best feature of the Fender vs. the Affinity?
    I like the feel and play of the squire but it sounds ****ty and has such unmentioned features as incurable buzz on certain strings and insanely noisy pickups and electronics.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have both a Squire (p-special) and a Fender MIM J. While I like both the MIM is a better instrument. My Squire lacks the problems your's suffers so I would think that a $25 setup would be in order. You could also replace the pickups which would improve the sound significantly. I think that the electronics are better on a MIM when compared to the Squire. Also, they use Alder for the body wood on a MIM, while the Affinity uses Agathis. This gives the MIM a somewhat better tone. Remember that the Affinity is the lowest level of quality within the Squire line. A Squire Standard is a better instrument and would compare more favourably to a MIM, though not quite.

But yes, the MIM is better. :)

Dan

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The move to the mim bass would be a great inprovement. The new basses(2002) are made of alder and basically need nothing. any mode done after that is pure personalization imho. I have two mim basses 1st one a 2002 and the other bought used just so I can mod it, but it sounds fine so it is still stock. also the build quality on the mim bass is a whole lot better.

4. Be careful about which bass you get though, you might end up with a crapper. Go down to a store near you and try out the P's first. Make sure you get a good one.