Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squire and fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old_skool, Aug 18, 2000.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    whats the diffrence between the two i have asked this question at other bass sites but i had very little luck with any help

2. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Squiers are cheaper and lousier. That's what everyone here is gonna tell you.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Cheaper, true. But the beauty is in the eye of
    beholder. You can always upgrade electronics and
    hardware, if you like rest of the bass.
    Ofcourse Squire is cheapass brand of Fender but hey,
    you can still like it.

4. metgol

metgol

Aug 18, 2000
    squires are crap they are for a beginner thats why fender is better but there are still much better basses out there

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    i've got to agree with the rest of the people, Squiers are cheap,have bad wood & cheap electronics, yeah you can upgrade electronics but then all you'd have is one of the better Squiers. Like Metgol said theres a lot better instruments out there.

6. ALTHOUGH
    I have to say, I played a Squire Special (p/j configuration) and it was totally cool. It felt like the MIM Fenders as far as weight and finish on the neck. It sounded pretty darn nice too. It was also considerably more expensive than other Squires I've seen, I think around $400.

I also heard a guy playing in a band the other night with a squire p-bass and you know what? for the most part he could have been playing a bass that cost 500 more- wasn't a distinctive sound, but it wasn't a bad.

7. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    To directly answer your question:

Squier is Fender's "budget" line, make in Indonesia. Two lines: Affinity (super budget) and Standard...FWIW, I had an Affinity P Bass that was, really, quite a fine instrument in an of itself. Excellent action, not noisy at all, stayed in tune, deep P Bass thump, what's wrong with that? Liked it very very much. The Standard line is even a bit better, although I've not played the 5 string yet. I think that their guitars are excellent, while the basses are very good.

I don't make this plug often, but you can really find out a lot more if you head to two places:

http://www.fender.com/ The official Fender/Squier site

http://www.fenderform.com/ The official Fender/Squier discussion page...

-GM