1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire bronco mod options

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mambo4, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    So I picked up a hot-rodded Bronco yesterday (SD hotrails w/ a humbucker/single coil switch), and I'm pretty pleased with it, but naturally, there are a few quality issues.

first the intonation is off on the E string- the 12th fret rings E flat. I think this means I need to lengthen the string by adjusting the bridge, but it's a "two-fer " bridge : one saddle for E and A, another saddle for D and G...so a new bridge may be required.

some searching indicates that the Music Master bridge is the desired 'drop-in' replacement for broncos...but are there other options? maybe something bad-assy, or at least a bit more massive? with slots instead of holes? I'd prefer not to drill extra holes...

If I settle for a music master bridge, i have to choose to drill the bridge for strings or drill the body for string through...is there and advantage to one or the other?

Also, I think pickup may be a bit too close to the strings, but I have yet to pull the pickguard off and see how adjustable the height is -what should I expect?

2. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    don't know about scale adjustments but a musicmaster bridge would be what i would put in it. the fender website might give more insight on the exact scale length.
    my.02 cents worth.

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I'm wondering if there's any reason (besides drilling new holes) that a bronco couldn't use a hipshot or badass bridge...do full scale bass bridges work just as well? I can't really see why not...

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008