Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire custom 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jun 24, 2001.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey all, quick question here:
    I was at my local music shop yesterday and saw what at first looked to be a Fender Roscoe Beck V, but upon closer inspection, I found it to be a Squire. I'm wondering what model it is. It looks just like the Squire Standard P-Bass Special 5, except that it has two humbuckers instead of the J-Bass pickups (similar to the Roscoe Beck) and it had a transparent red finish over what looked like ash (though I think that it was most likely just a veneer). Also, all the hardware was gold anodized and the tuners weren't the standard Fender butterfly tuners but the same style that Fender used on the P-Bass Lyte Deluxe.

Anyway, it sounded really good. Just wondering if this is something that was offered only for a short time or if someone hot-rodded it or what.

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe it is the Squire Pro tone 5. They only made it a couple years. It's a nice bass for the money. Well made, plays good. I would have bought one if the B was a bit tighter.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree with RS. It sounds like a Pro-Tone 5. I have a Pro-Tone P-bass (4-string w/P-J pups). The Pro-Tones (guitars and basses) were great for the money. (Better than MIM, IMO). It used to be said that Squier Pro-Tones were made in the "Korean Custom Shop" :) .

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks guys. Yeah, as some of you may know, I've really been looking at a new bass and this one seems to fit the ticket well. I really dig the sound to. Perhaps I'll stop by there again and check it out a bit more. Thanks again.

5. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I have two of the Pro Tone 5's myself and I love 'em both. If I may ask, how much is the seller asking for it?

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with Slater, pro tones are better than the MIM. I might upgrade the pups if I got the 5er.
    I think emgs would actually sound good on those.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    tried a 5 marked for $300. gold hardware, candy apple red, i liked the bass a lot & thought that the neck felt great-the b string was plenty tight-better than some of the others basses i tried [deans, spectors{$500}]. thats all

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    They're asking $350 used. Though, if I do decide to get it, then I'll probably try to haggle them over it (it is used after all). I don't think that's too bad of a price though, is it? It is in either mint or near-mint condition.

9. I played one of those in a store, back in my early days of playing bass. I believe it was the first 5 string I ever played. I don't remember much about it but it seemed nice at the time.

10. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    Hey White Knight, you can DEFINITELY do better than $350 for a Squire Pro Tone 5! I bought one last month on ebay for $165, near mint. And my first one I bought on ebay for $300, absolute MINT condition with gig bag. This is one damn fine bass for the money, but shop around a little before you spend more than 3 bills for it.

By the way, if you DO get it I recommend Dean Markley SR2000 ML strings. Sounds GREAT on this bass!

11. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey Thrillkiller, thanks for the heads up! Also, thanks for the string reccommendation, but I'll probably be putting D'Addarrio Chromes (flatwounds) on it - I've never found a set of strings that I like better. I'm always open to suggestions though, so if I do get the bass perhaps I'll give the Deans a try.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Pro Tone V is a great bass for the bucks, but like ThrillKiller says, don't you DARE pay more than $300 for it. Just check eBay periodically and I'm certain you'll do better.

I was very tempted by the Squire PT V myself a couple of years back but the that way-big neck scared me off (yeah, I know--Wuss!).

I think those pickups are not really humbuckers but P styles with a soapbar covers. Is that true? And have any of you Pro Tone V owners replaced those pickups? How much? How did it turn out? I may still take the plunge!

Ron