1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire custom 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jun 24, 2001.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey all, quick question here:
    I was at my local music shop yesterday and saw what at first looked to be a Fender Roscoe Beck V, but upon closer inspection, I found it to be a Squire. I'm wondering what model it is. It looks just like the Squire Standard P-Bass Special 5, except that it has two humbuckers instead of the J-Bass pickups (similar to the Roscoe Beck) and it had a transparent red finish over what looked like ash (though I think that it was most likely just a veneer). Also, all the hardware was gold anodized and the tuners weren't the standard Fender butterfly tuners but the same style that Fender used on the P-Bass Lyte Deluxe.

Anyway, it sounded really good. Just wondering if this is something that was offered only for a short time or if someone hot-rodded it or what.

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe it is the Squire Pro tone 5. They only made it a couple years. It's a nice bass for the money. Well made, plays good. I would have bought one if the B was a bit tighter.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree with RS. It sounds like a Pro-Tone 5. I have a Pro-Tone P-bass (4-string w/P-J pups). The Pro-Tones (guitars and basses) were great for the money. (Better than MIM, IMO). It used to be said that Squier Pro-Tones were made in the "Korean Custom Shop" :) .

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks guys. Yeah, as some of you may know, I've really been looking at a new bass and this one seems to fit the ticket well. I really dig the sound to. Perhaps I'll stop by there again and check it out a bit more. Thanks again.

5. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I have two of the Pro Tone 5's myself and I love 'em both. If I may ask, how much is the seller asking for it?

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with Slater, pro tones are better than the MIM. I might upgrade the pups if I got the 5er.
    I think emgs would actually sound good on those.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    tried a 5 marked for $300. gold hardware, candy apple red, i liked the bass a lot & thought that the neck felt great-the b string was plenty tight-better than some of the others basses i tried [deans, spectors{$500}]. thats all

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    They're asking $350 used. Though, if I do decide to get it, then I'll probably try to haggle them over it (it is used after all). I don't think that's too bad of a price though, is it? It is in either mint or near-mint condition.

9. I played one of those in a store, back in my early days of playing bass. I believe it was the first 5 string I ever played. I don't remember much about it but it seemed nice at the time.

10. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    Hey White Knight, you can DEFINITELY do better than $350 for a Squire Pro Tone 5! I bought one last month on ebay for $165, near mint. And my first one I bought on ebay for $300, absolute MINT condition with gig bag. This is one damn fine bass for the money, but shop around a little before you spend more than 3 bills for it.

By the way, if you DO get it I recommend Dean Markley SR2000 ML strings. Sounds GREAT on this bass!

11. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey Thrillkiller, thanks for the heads up! Also, thanks for the string reccommendation, but I'll probably be putting D'Addarrio Chromes (flatwounds) on it - I've never found a set of strings that I like better. I'm always open to suggestions though, so if I do get the bass perhaps I'll give the Deans a try.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Pro Tone V is a great bass for the bucks, but like ThrillKiller says, don't you DARE pay more than $300 for it. Just check eBay periodically and I'm certain you'll do better.

I was very tempted by the Squire PT V myself a couple of years back but the that way-big neck scared me off (yeah, I know--Wuss!).

I think those pickups are not really humbuckers but P styles with a soapbar covers. Is that true? And have any of you Pro Tone V owners replaced those pickups? How much? How did it turn out? I may still take the plunge!

Ron