1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire Deluxe Active Jazz V...preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I know a lot of dudes here have the DAJV here, and was wondering if anyone installed a better preamp into it. I like the way it sounds right now with the stock pre, but it seems that I can only get like 2 sounds that I like. It isn't a very colourful preamp to say the least.

Audere or OBP-3 with switch?

2. I have to agree that the DAJV preamp is not very tweakable.

I'm planning on going down the road of a 2-band boost-only design (like an OBP-1) with a passive tone control (a la Sadowsky VTC).

If you want versatility, then the Audere is probably more suited to that.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Looking at the Audere...it might be TOO colourful for me.

I think I will go with the OBP-3SK that comes with a stacked treb/bass knob, mid knob and a mini toggle for mid range switching, just like the original pre. I don't like to change too much up in the way it looks. I'll just have a lot of soldering to do...eh, keeps me in practice.

4. sounds like a plan.

words of advice...

1) get your pre either complete with pots or buy new pots (the stock pot values probably aren't correct anyway.

2) pre wire everything (except pickup connections) outside of the bass...use a drilled piece of masonite or similar to hold the pots. all that soldering in the tight control cavity is a PAIN.

3) you may consider small screw terminals for the pickups, this makes for easy future pickup connections and also is a snap if you happen to encounter phasing issues on initial wire-up

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just picked up a Sadowsky pre / VTC that was intended to go in my Squier DAJV / Nordstrand Big Singles

but,

for some strange reason, last night i installed it in my Peavey Grind / Nordstrand Fat Stacks / coiltap instead, ( probably because i've already got two active fivers already, a Lakland 55-01, & a Squier Affinity Jazz V / Audere )

WOW,, the Sadowsky sounds INCREDIBLE in the Peavey, just put on a new set of Sunbeams, the string articulation is quite impressive, & this thing plays effortlessly, have had to really lighten up with the right hand, as this plays like a new Ferrari, ( as opposed to playing my P with flats )

so,

when the time comes to actually follow thru, & install a pre in the DAJV, it's either going to be another Sadowsky / VTC,, or a 4 band Audere

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I want to hear how the Sadowsky with VTC works out. I am tempted to do that, along with installing Sadowsky single coils on mine.

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707

the Sadowsky / VTC would be a HUGE improvement tonewise, in the DAJV imo, i'm basing that opinion on the Peavey installation. it REALLY sounds superb with the FatStacks / coiltap,, & I'M SURE it would sound EXCELLENT matched with the Sadowsky SC's

but,, will let you know when it happens :bassist:

8. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul

If you'll go with the OBP3, I'd suggest you to have a passive tone control, too (like the Sadowsky VTC). OBP3 is a great pre, very transparent. Boosting the bass or the treble does not change the bass' natural character. However, the treb control is centered at 6.5kHz, which is great for adding treble without altering the tone but it does not provide enough treble cut for vintage tones. OBP3 + Passive Tone control provides the best of both worlds. Tested and approved on my Lakland 55-01...

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I sure will. I will likely do it around Christmas though because my daughters have back to back birthdays.:smug:

10. reidar otto

reidar otto

Jun 13, 2006
    Oslo Norway
    Hi guys!
    I got a one year old Squire Deluxe Active Jazz V and was wondering if its worth the money to change pickups and preamp? I was even thinking of maybe change to a passive set?

I got the bass really cheap because the owner never got the setup right, I will let a bass tech set it up, change to flats and also possibly change the electronics. I am looking for a deep fat blues sound.

So please share your experiences with modding this bass. :D

thanks!

11. work on the setup first...

if you can get it to play really nice, then it may be worth an electronics upgrade...

if you can't there's little point...

mine plays like a champ, and I like the sounds it kickin' out at the moment (stock)...

I'm going for a home made preamp design much like a Sadowsky or OBP-1 in function & voicing...but, I'm in no hurry, even though I already have the schematic figured out, I haven't worked out the layout, yet.

12. reidar otto

reidar otto

Jun 13, 2006
    Oslo Norway
    Thanks, thats a good advice, I will follow it and do it step by step, will keep you posted. :D

By the way, which strings are you using?

cheers

13. mxserratore

mxserratore

Jan 29, 2008
    What about the Bartolini 4.5 harness? isn't this the basis for the sadowsky pre-amp at half the costs? I believe this is exactly what Marcus has installed... the Sadowsky SC are basically Dimarizo Ultra Jazz. Any experience with this configuration?

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    have not made any changes to mine yet, since the beginning, tho i am thinking of putting on a set of TI Jazz Flats

still running this passive & it sounds like a jazz on steroids, so i may just keep this one passive

has that " deep fat blues sound " in spades

DSCF0011_2.

TonyP- likes this.
  15. I just use D'Addario EXL-175 nickels 0.130,0.100,0.080,0.065,0.045

these strings are good-sounding, inexpensive, and since I've been using them for years, I know EXACTLY what to expect from them.

16. the only thing I would do different on that is to put the pickups into bypassible buffer preamps individually before the blend. I believe that would "open up" the sound quite a bit without colouring it.

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    it's currently VVT / 250k CTS pots & .047 orange drop cap & just the combination of the big body, & big neck / the ebenol fingerboard & Big Singles just make this bass sing, it's also currently strung with D'A nickels,, but i'm so jonesing to run a set of TI Flats :bassist: