1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire headstock decal : Best way to remove it ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Wanting to remove the Squire P-bass decal off the headstock to replace it with a custom decal Im having made (no, the new decal is not going to say Fender) and I was wondering the best way to get the Squire decal off.

I have seen mentioned on here "fingernail polish remover" but was wondering if there were any other ways that are just as good or better,, or is polish remover the best ?

Would heating the decal up with a blow dryer and peeling it off work ? (I did that to debadge and remove stickers off my Toyota truck).

Goof-Off 2,, for removing stickers and glue residue ?

Thanks much in advance
    Cheers
    Davyo

2. Roadman

Roadman

Mar 26, 2008
    You can use one of those green scotchbright pads. Very light pressure and take your time. It will dull the finish slightly, but once you apply the new decal it won't be seen.

I'm sure there are better methods, but it worked for me.

3. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    subscribed :)

4. Hi.

Light sanding is what I'd also use. Much safer for the finish.

BTW, this is nit-picking I know but the brand is SQUIER.

Regards
    Sam

5. melarson

melarson

Feb 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Are you going to apply finish over the new decal to protect it? If so sand it off and don't worry about the finish.

I just did a refinish of my first bass, a Squier Affinity p bass. I sanded off the painted on logo. I also had to do some fairly significant sanding so i could not see where the original logo was. The headstock had aged enough around the logo that I could still see it in light color when the paint was sanded away.

If you are not going to clear coat it, sorry I am no help at all!

6. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Oppps,,,, my bad,,, must remember to use the spell checker.

Nope,,, wanting to leave the black headstock finish intact and looking good,,,,, perhaps having a decal made with a black backround and just placing it over the exsiting decal might be the best way to go if the current decal cant be removed without screwing up the finish.

Cheers
    Davyo

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

on the newer "inked on" logos, nail polish remover works great and does not effect anything other than the logo (as opposed to sanding). On the older MIJ Squiers, sanding and/or striping is required.

Kustom_Thunder likes this.
  8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Black, BLACK!

Why didn’t you just say that in the first place, HA!:p
    No I’m just kidding I’m not really that intense although the headstock being black Is kinda a important detail, with that being said if you want to keep the black and have it glossy your gonna have to sand through the top layers of clear coats till the decal is gone. Your also gonna want to be careful you don’t sand to much and remove any of the black, especially around the edges of the headstock. You’ll need some sand paper I’d say start with 320 until the decal is gone then go down in grits from there. Like 400 then 600 then 800 and use wet sand sand paper with a little water. Then you can apply your decal followed by several clear coats and then fine sanding it to level it out. Then more clear coats and a buff, make sure you use adequate drying times through out the process. Oh, and as far as the black back ground on the decal itself idea, I’d say it’ll probably not look so hot as the two shades of black won’t match.

Best of luck

Samantha.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    :eek: YEEKS! Why would anyone want to remove the label off an early 80's MIJ Squier? Those basses rock and being a new proud owner of an 83' SQ love showing it off and what good craftmanship was at one time to this brand. Great basses that need to be left as is and will only increase in value.

10. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Well the bass in question is new,,, just bought it a few days ago from MF, its the Squier P-bass Special,, I actually purchase 3 of them, one is the satin finish gray pweter, the other was metalic black (Im in the middle of painting it and just sanded the lettering off the headstock, it did not seem like a decal when I sanded it off) painting the entire bass flat black.
    But, like I said the one I wish to remove the decal/ink off of is the black one with the matching black headstock,,,, if its just a simple nail polish trick that would rock !!!!

Cheers
    Davyo

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I used to have a JV Squier P Bass. Got it for $100 :D ... sold it for $200 :crying:

12. 4001

4001 SUSPENDED

Best way to remove it??
    A Makita sander with 220 grit.
    Down to the wood.

13. Blowtorch? :bag:

14. tommysantunes

tommysantunes

Jul 8, 2012
    Artist Endorsement with Hartke, Gibson, Korg, Marshall, Yamaha
    I just removed my Squire Jass Bass Logo off a Squire 70's modified Jazz Bass for personal reasons.

I read all the comments and consulted a friend who builds and repairs guitars.

I used the 3M #320 very fine sandpaper I bought from Walmart. I sanded the direction of the grain and it came off immediately, no black marks from the logo and no scratches on the headstock...It took 3 minutes to complete.

Please note that model headstock has no protective coating or clear varnish on it. Making it extra easy to remove....:bassist:

15. Incorrect. Vintage Modified necks are finished with a Satin Polyurethane.

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Let us know how it turns out and post pictures when you replace the logo on that black headstock

17. Subscribed. Has anybody removed the logo off of a Classic Vibe series Squier bass?

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Remove it, like this? :eek:

Chris squire 04 cropped headless .

19. this worked for me and the end result is this image. as you can see it works just take your time it takes a while

jeff7bass likes this.
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    :eek: Don't be bullied by all the bass snobs around here! Wear your Squire proud man! It means you're smarter than them, especially those Pino Padildo guys who paid 4 grand for a bass that looks like the dog dragged in!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015