1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squire Jag / P-bass neck swap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 12, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    Anyone know if a p-bass neck will fit a jag without any modification?
    If so, what do you guys think of a fretless Jag?
    I'm not a fan of the fender jazz bass body, so that rules out the squire fretless Jazz.
    Mighty Mite has a P-bass fretless neck for a reasonable price and I've read some decent reviews about them. I'm not a fan of the p-bass body or a single p-pickup.
    I really like the squire jags with the single humbuckers. I'm hoping either the neck pocket is the same on the p-bass and jag, or at least that the neck pocket on the jag is smaller so I could enlarge it to fit the mighty mite neck.
    I could get a jag and a mighty mite neck for the same price as the squire fretless jazz (and have an extra project neck :p)

2. I forget how many squier jags i have owned , i think 7 now. There favorites of mine as there one of thee best bang for the buck basses available now.

So your talking about the squier jaguar HB, the full scale single humbucker one? yes you could put a mighty mite neck on that and it should fit perfect , both are licensed by fender.

Squier jags are excellent mod platforms and your tuners and other hardware should transfer over

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks A-step :]

4. FWIW, all Squier standard-scale bass necks - with the exception of the square heel Tele bass styles on the CV 50s P, Mike Dirnt sig and VM TB - are pretty much interchangeable. The Jags use a Jazz-style neck, but the pocket dimensions are virtually the same across the board between the P, J and Jag. You may have to do a little shimming or a bit of fitting, but they will all swap and most aftermarket Fender-spec necks will also fit on a Squier.

As for the fretless Jag, fellow TBer Bass4u has one...

[​IMG]
    photo courtesy of Bass4u

5. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    That's really unfortunate. I love the neck of my VM Tb but it'd be cool to put it on a bass with more tonal options, such as a Jazz bass.