Squire Jazz bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sumrnitz, Aug 8, 2005.

1. sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    I'm thinking about building a jazz guitar, have built several nice 6 stringers in the past and thought I'd give it a go on a bass.
    Here's the deal. I was thinking about grabing a cheap body and slapping a decent neck, hardware and electronics in for a good second bass. The Squires came readily to mind. Now I know that there is a Standard and Affinity and the Affinity has really cheap hardware and electronics. Well all things being the same since I only want a body, is there any difference between the two otherwise? I know the Standard is agathis and the Affinity is alder (which I prefer) but other than that are there any differences? I just find it hard to pay big bucks for a body when those Affinitys are much cheaper (and actually comes in Metallic Blue, the color I want and the Standard doesn't). I heard somewhere that the bodies are thinner but the rumor is unproven to me as of yet. So I guess, plain and simple: Are there any differences or are they normal jazz bass bodies made abroad?

BTW: I'm looking to possibly use a Geddy neck and Badass II on the project if that helps. (undecided on electronics)

Thanks in advance for your help. The website rocks!!!
  2. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    If you want to put all that effort into a bass like that, you might as well buy a decent bass. If you're up for spending the money, go for a Geddy Lee Signature bass. Otherwise, go to the Essex megathread and see what you can find.
  3. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    The bass that I play the most these days is a Squier Standard body with a Geddy neck and Geddy parts. I had bought a Geddy with a body that was damaged and while I was trying to figure out what to do with the body, I just bought a Squier for the body. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I was thinking of replacing it if I got the body fixed but now I don't even care to.

The agathis body is fine and the bass plays beautifully. I don't know much about the Affinity, but the Standard neck pocket was slightly wider than the Geddy. There's a slight gap, but it doesn't bother me none.
  4. sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    I may need to dig into the SX thread. I actually thought of just buying a SX bass at first for the body so I shot an email to Kurt at Rondo just last night. He said that the SX's have different neck pocket dimensions. There maybe info to the contrary on that thread but I wanted to go straight to the horses mouth and have had plenty of straight up dealings with Kurt before. I'm not at the beginner stage looking for a low cost bass, I'm more into making the guitar that Fender should have made. The Geddy is quite close though. If possible I dont want to butcher a perfectly good Geddy so spending that kind of money for that is against what I'm shooting at.
    BTW: SX's are great basses and I own a Brice 6 string which is phenominal.Been dealing with Rondo for almost 6 years now.

All of this brings me back to the squire bodies. I need an Alder Fender body and dont want to have pay $250 bucks for a raw body and have to paint it metallic blue. All I'm interested in is a great body that will fit a Geddy/AllParts, etc. neck correctly (no gaps) in the right color. The rest of the hardware,neck, whatever would probably get ebay'd for a song.

Good info, Anybody else?

5. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
  6. sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    well...thats close but not quite right. I want the blue thats on the affinity series basses and the traditional fender headstock (aka real fender or licensed neck)

Problem number two is the sjb-75 is a 3 bolt neck and the sjb-62 is a 4 bolt....not gonna work but I thought of it in the past too.

SX just isn't the answer since the neck pocket is wrong.

Any other info, specifically squire related?
  7. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I know that Fender guitar bodies from the Squire series have a different pick guard screw locations. Most of them are the same but 1 or 2 are not existant. I think there are 15 on an american or Made in Mexico but like 14 on Squires and probably Affinity.

Ebay has bodies for as low as $40 to 50 which may be worthwhile and you may be able to get a string through body from an american Fender P or Jazz bass.

That may be the same with their basses
  8. why not get a warmoth body?, don't bother buying a whole bass just for the body, buy an excellent body instead.
  9. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Squier Affinity bodies are quite a bit thinner than standard Fender and Squier bodies.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Buy a Squier standard, and be content. If you are picky about details and cautious about the neck, you will find a good instrument. It may take a few tries, though.

go all the way, and do the woodwork yourself.

go half way and buy a body, a neck and all the rest from Stew-Mac or Warmoth or whatever, and assemble it yourself. These guys can deliver the goods routed and painted or whatever state. BTW, there may be a jointer around the block, that might do this just as well.

Buying a half decent bass to get a decent body seems a loooong way around the target, to me, anyways.