1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Jazz VM Pots electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by afireinside, Oct 5, 2008.

1. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I bought a used 08 VM Jazz and I will start off by saying I love the tone! It is killer. It needs to be sheilded for sure typical grounding hum/sheilding hum. So while I am at it should I replace the pots and cap? The factory pots are all 500k and not sure of the cap (dark green) Yet the pots seem nice smooth turning ECT. Did they put nicer pots then the typical import crap in the VM? I am afraid of killing the tone. was looking at the vintage or standard pot kits from here: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm

Or I have a whole plate with pots and all wireing from a new jazz I bought off the bay to use, if I remember it has the 250k CTS pots correct? what is the cap on the factory pots?

What would I lose gain with the going w/ 250 vs 500k? What about just changing the cap?

2. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    just noticed that the hum goes away when I turn the tone pot all the way down. If the tone is anywhere besides 0 their is a hum that will MOSTLY go away if i touch the strings, bridge or controll plate. What could be causing this?!?!?! Bad cap? bad tone pot? dirty tone pot? thanks!!

3. you need to shield the pickup and control cavities...

there's a sticky that tells you how.

the hum is there because you've probably got only one volume pot turned up... If you turn both pots full on, then there's no hum.

4. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    both vols are fully up, tone anything besides all the wat down has hum. Im gonna sheild today if i can get the material thanks