Squire JV series help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just how good are they. Is a JV P-bass as good as an Fender American series P or even a US reissue 57/62 P-bass?
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No? What kind of JV basses have you tried? Couldn´t it have been a lemon you tried?
    Id like some kind of motivation, please.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The original Squier basses (with the large Fender logo) were/are awesome. The pups were US sourced and they were designed to stop Tokai poaching sales. US production was (1982) at an all time low so the Squiers stacked up well. I have played JV's and US Reissues at that time and quality was comparable.

THe next batch had a large Squier Logo and a small Fender one. I played one of these in the summer and it was an excellent bass.

Fender moved Squier production out of Japan and thats when it went pear shaped. There was a return to form with the Japan made Silver Series and more recently with the Pro Tone Series (which was also Japan based but 'deluxe' spec instruments with gold hardware etc and were same price as Mim).

I have played instruments from both of these series and they have all been excellent.

Every Japan Squier I have played has been very good. But I would always play a bass before I bought it or checked the return policy.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're very much behind everybody else as a bass player and need to spend several months in intensive practice to get up to standard!!

There - how's that!! :D

{Well it was "some kind of" motivation - you didn't say it had to be very good! ;) }
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I have a 63 reissue Fender, made in Japan in about 1989 -90.
    It stacks up really well against my American P.