Squire JV series P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Oct 21, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How good are they?
    What are they worth?
    How good are the electronics?
  2. Hard to say, but they're at least comparable to most Japanese Fenders IMO. Personally, I'd rather buy a JV Squier than a recent MIA Fender, and I'd definitely take a JV over any of the MIM ones I've tried. Mainly 'cause I like the broken in feel of a used, but well kept, bass.

I paid 6000 SKr for mine - which I think was a bit much, since it'd been badly refretted and had a new bridge on it (got the original bridge as well, but still). No regrets what so ever, though.
    If you can find one at around 5000, and the latest for sale ones I've seen in the Swedish classifieds at you-know-which-sites have been in the ballpark, you've got yourself a good deal.

I'm afraid I can't answer that one. Mine hums a little, but then again, I've only played it through my Pandora, close to my computer, stereo and television set, often with all three items switched on. Most basses hum in that kind of environment...
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ll probably check it out tomorrow and ask how much it is.
  4. Hope you'll like it!
    Just two (alright, three) questions:
    -Where did you find it? Store or classified?
    -Is it a 50's or a 60's version (your post at the Fender Forum leads me to believe it's a 60's, am I right?)?
    Mine, if you're interrested, is a 60's "RI" (not sure if it's close enough to the original specs to actually be called a RI. I would hesitate to use that term, but then again I'm known to be quite a nitpicking type of guy), and I'd love to get a 50's one as well. The maple fingerboard being the key to my lust.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I has a maple fretboard so its a "57 RI" look-alike. But it has a strange pickguard. Its an all white one. Not a white/black/white as Fenders usually have.
    It would look great with a goldanodized pickguard.:cool:
  6. Cool.
    What colour is it? Have you tried it out? Was it any good? And, will you buy it? If not, I might be tempted if the price is right... ;)
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The first JV Squiers had a large Fender decal with a smaller Squier one. There were three basses all sunburst 57 P and 62 P and J. THe 57 as Jock stated had a white scratchplate instead of the original 57's and US ri gold one.

These basses has US pups and electronics and were made to a very high standard.

Shortly after the Fender and Squier decals were reversed and other colours were introduced. I dont know what happened to the electrics but I guess they were changed.

I recently played a black small Fender decal JV Jazz that was excellent. Should have bought it.
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You´ll be the first one to know if I don´t buy it.;)
    BTW its yellowed olympic white.
  9. Hmm. I have also been planning buying that one :) It actually looks darn good. Have you tried it, Jock?
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes Ive played it. But I did not have the time to plug it in. What I noticed was its light weight and its like-new frets. It was in great shape. The only thing I didnt like was the fat neck. I prefer J-necks.