Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire - Lift with your knees

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdgarHons, Dec 16, 2000.

1. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Hmm, my only bass as of yet is a Squire P-Bass, I went to the store today and tried out a Cort Curbow, I liked it (and if you have any positive feedback, I'd be glad to hear it) but I noticed it's rather light. So I picked up some other basses and they were all substantially lighter than what I'm used to. So I played them, and when I got home, I picked up my Squire and found it to be extremely heavy. It's abnormal...so, to make this a question...

What other companies make real heavy basses and what's the heaviest bass you've ever played?

2. fenders are normally pretty heavy
    the heaviest ive played would have to be a p-bass imitation by a company named austin

3. The Heaviest bass i've ever played was An Ibanez BTB 5-string. I had just finished playing a warwick dolphin which is supposed to be real heavy(and it is) but when I picked up this thing I almost forgot it was an Ibanez.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    EH ~ There's a buncha' threads that talk about heavy basses.
    Click on "search" at the top of the page and enter "heavy"
    in the "Search by Keyword" field.

Some extreme examples? Way back when, I had a Rickenbacker
    4080/12 doubleneck (12-string and bass). Moderator JT (John Turner)
    has a monster Conklin doubleneck (there's a pic here somewhere).
    Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) had a FIVE neck guitar. They asked him
    how much it weighed ~ "Only my chiropractor knows for sure" :p .

Sounds like your Squier's body might be maple or ash. You might wanna'
    consider Yamaha's RBX series. They're inexpensive and well built
    and their bodies are usually alder - a much lighter wood, BUT with a
    correspondingly different tone.

Here's an overview of body woods from Warmoth: http://www.warmoth.com/wooddescriptions.htm

[Edited by notduane on 12-16-2000 at 09:56 PM]

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    speaking about single neck basses the king of heavy bass is my old eko. similar to a jazz bass in the body shape, with an huge headstock it is really really heavy. another heavy bass is the t-bird

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I used to have a '78 Fender Jazz that felt pretty damn heavy to me...
    I also had a super-pointy Westone explorer-type thing that weighed a ton. What can I say? I was in a metal cover band and it looked the part. ;-)

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi!!
    I have proclaimed myself "The Cort Curbow Evangelization Crusader". :D

When I was looking for a 6 String Bass, a message from bass-god came to me in the form of talkbass.com, "Thou shall buy a Cort Curbow!!" I followed... and got an incredible bargain for my 6 Stringer(It has Bartolini's). I love it everyday more, as it follows my music desires.
    Then, another message from bass-god came to me: "Thou shall play a fretless!!" I bought a Cort Curbow 5 String Customized Fretless from Greg Curbow, with a Bartolini Quad Coil Custom Pickup.
    I havent recieved yet, but Im sure its great.(I hope it arrives on Cristmas)

Now, back to earth. What I can say about the Cort Curbow is that because of the small body and material its is very lightweight. Luthite is a great composite/plastic that resonates very good in the Cort Curbow body shape. It just works. The Phenolic Ebonol fingerboard is very fast and bright, making it great for aggressive styles.
    The electronics are Custom designed by Greg Curbow.
    The Mighty Mite DX5 is not a good pickup, so the first thing if you buy one is to get a Bartolini Pickup with it.

If you need more information, please contact me.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I love my Moses Custom.. But its "HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" VERY VERY Heavy.... Northern Ash body, Graphite Neck, DTuner on the Tuner, its preeeety heavy.... heavier than any fenders i've played.... and today after 4 hours of band practice... i came back... with shoulder pain... my mom told me my shoulder was red.. and it was the shoulder pain from the bass.. so its either gonna be me getting used to my bass or the bass will kill me heheh :D

DM

10. I don't know if it was abnormally heavy but I tried out a Peavey Forum 5-string a couple years ago. At least it was the heaviest one I'd ever worn.

11. I always thought Squier's were made of plywood...

My Fender doesn't seem very heavy to me, but I've had it for awhile, so maybe I got used to it...

Les Paul guitars are heavy as a b*st*rd though (said in a Brooklyn accent)...

12. The heaviest bass I ever owned was a Warwick Corvette Fretless 5, a great sound, but too damned heavy. My Carvin is MUCH easier to handle thru a night. I also had a '76 fretless P-Bass that I remember as being kinda weighty.

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    This old fretless P lists for $1135 with ohc.
    I hear if `ya ask Santa REAL nice, he'll let `ya have this beast with a 2Tek for a grand :D .