Squire P-Bass and Paint!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CitricGuy, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Ok, I just got a used Squire P-Bass for almost nothing, and its beaten to hell (paint wise, everything important seems to be in perfect shape) but the guy who had it before me did a number on the paint =\

How sould I go about redoing the paint? Do i need to sand it down before i paint it, there are no gashes at all, just messed up paint. Ill see if i can get a picture to better explain, but what types of paint are generally used that are durable etc. :D thanks for any imput at all :)
  2. pmyucps

Jul 7, 2002
    I repainted my bass last year. Once you're over the hurdle of taking it apart it's actually a very easy job. Takes a while though.

1) Remove the neck, pickups, guard, everything. I know you'll have done this anyway but it's better to be safe.

2) using a coarse sandpaper, Remove all paint from the surface. It's possible that there will be a laquer coat underneath, in which case you'll need to remove that too.

3) using a soft grain sandpaper, smooth the body until it has no angles or dents. it should still be fairly rough but not so that a layer of paint won't smooth it.

4) spray a white undercoat onto the surface. Don't worry about over spraying as you can sand down again if necessary.

5) use a good quality acrylic paint (fairly cheap and easy to find) to paint whatever pattern or style you want. You shouldn't need more than one coat of acrylic since it is fairly thick and doesn't shrink much when drying.

6) cover the dryed piece in a transparent varnish (gloss/satin if possible) and leave to dry for 3 hours.

7) apply another coat of varnish and leave for a day or two...... it may not seem like it needs it but safety first again... the last thing you want is your fingerprint forever on your bass.

8) Re-attatch all pickups, screws, neck and guard.

It should loo like a professional job if you've done it right....... Always mark the pickups with position and orientation marks and put all screws in the same bag. But that's just DIY stuff.

Please post a picture when it's finished... there's nothing quite so nice as a self customized bass.

N.B. This is how I painted my Squier while the neck was being de-fretted. It's tried and tested but any alterations or improvements are welcome.

Good Luck,

3. sounds like a good course of action. It might be wise to invest in a spray gun and a small air compressor, or at the very least rent one. You really don't want to go at your bass with a can of sraypaint. It doesn't dry evenly, or even spray evenly.

And as always, don't forget to work in a well ventilated area and wear a painters mask.
  4. this is EXACTLY what i was looking for thanks guys, ill get a picture up as soon as i finish it! I think im gona do an old guitar first to test my painting skills :D