Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire P-Bass mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jack, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    My first bass was a Squire P-Bass and now that ive moved onto my Ibanez it doesnt quite cut it anymore. So today I saw two JHS jazz bass pups in my dads garage that have never been used.

I was thinking that as well as changing the tuners and the bridge I could put these in the bridge position as a humbucker. I know ive heard of people doing it. Could it be done?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Are you talking about putting jazz size pickups instead of P pickups?

If so, then it would require routing of the p-bass body. That is a major modification and it is very easy to screw it up if you are not used to woodworking and electronics.

I´ll let more experienced people answer this one but this is at least my take on it.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No, jazz pickups below the p style pup. Kinda like that fender p-bass with the MM humbucker. ]

I know routing can be hard, but its something im gonna have to do otherwise my beautiful bass will not get played. :bawl:

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh, I see.

Well, routing will be requiered in this case also.
    The best option would be of course to take it to a professional who will route it, install the pickups and take care of the electronics. All of those aspects are a bit of a challenge for a novice in woodworking and routing unfortunately.

Good luck!

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Damn. Professional = cost.

Im only fourteen and i dont have money. Well have to see, my dad did some guitar modifications when he was younger so ill see what he can do. Thanks for your help. :bassist:

6. Don't ruin your bass by hacking it. If it isn't working out, sell it and get what you need. Once you hack it, the resale value is ZERO.