1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire Precision 5 string - cannot get b string intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    As the title suggests, I can't get the b-string on my Squire Precision 5 to intonate properly. All the other strings - fine. I did my first setup tonight - too much relief had the action WAY high. So I straightened the neck, adjusted the saddle height, tuned and checked the intonation. EADG were pretty close, minor adjustments. However the b-string remains slightly sharp. Not a lot but enough that its not right. I've adjusted the saddle and it just puts the string out of tune, so I re-tune and then check the intonation again and its off again LOL

The bass plays so much better now that the action is lower. So much faster that my technique has to change because I'd gotten used to the higher action! But this b-string...its buggin' me!

Any idea why this might be?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Waht are you using as a tuner to set your intonation with?

3. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have a KORG Guitar/Bass tuner, GA-30. I hit the string open to tune, then fret at 12 and play again. Every other string on the bass works fine. Just the b-string won't line up.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I am of the opinion that a tuner such as that is not accurate enough to reliably set intonation or diagnose intonation issues.

lay your hands on a strobe tuner and take another run at it before you get all verklempt.

Is this an audible thing or is the fact that the needle doesn't come up dead center getting inside you brain?

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio

definitely that the needle doesn't come up dead center :)

6. important: especially with B & E strings...you must push down firmly in front of the bridge before tuning after making any intonation adjustment...this gets a good witness point established...

also, the lower tension strings (like B & E) have a bit more relative tension "wobble" that makes setting intonation a bit more tricky...

what I mean by "wobble" is the strings are way more sensative to finger pressure...I try to set my intonation such that I can force the note slightly sharp with strong pressure, but with the slightest pressure (enough for a clean note), it comes out to be either spot on or the slightest bit flat.

I've had no trouble setting up my 5-string intonation with my zoom B2.1u (built in tuner)...but it is definitely not as straight-forward as a D or G string. (more finicky)

by the way...you must re-check intonation after every action adjustment, and you must retune after any action or intonation adjustment...it's a re-iterative process...

7. Are you sure you're adjusting in the right direction? I had a hard time setting the intonation on my B string until...