1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire Precision 5-String Rescue (Pics Added)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Apr 24, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just picked up a Squire P-bass 5-string tonight (I know, no pics no bass :) I'll get them) - I consider it a rescue because it was owned by a guitar player and not particularly well cared for!

Anyway I cleaned it up a bit and its looking pretty good but the pickguard screws are corroded. I've some searching and found that pickguards are not made for this model - its got 2 J pickups and the neck is wide since its a 5'er.

I need to know one of 2 things:

1. Is there a place that sells pickguards for this bass?

2. What screw should I buy to replace the corroded ones? I guess I could just take one out and go to the hardware store, but if anyone's had to do this I don't want to wind up with something 1/2 a$$ed.

Any ideas?

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Get a fender pickguard and if the holes don't match, drill new ones.

As for the screws, you can go to stewmac if you don't find any at the hardware store.
    Good luck!

3. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is there another fender out there that is a 5-string with 1 J pickup in the guard? I think I'm SOL on that. The pickguard is in decent shape, but the screws have to be replaced for sure.

thanks for the heads up on stewmac

4. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I've always seen pickguards with one J cut out. I think thats the only way fender makes 'em. I'm not a 5er guy.

5. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I have a real soft spot for the Squier Precision Five Special. No idea why. Pickups on the one I've played are a bit weak, but that can be remedied.

I really like that 2" wide neck. Comfortable and seems really solid.

Good rescue!

6. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's really a pretty sweet bass. The bridge is amazingly solid for a squire...my MIM P didn't have a bridge this solid.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Nice!

8. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks - I hear that these basses only have 4-string pickups though so I need to find some for a 5'er that will fit. Its fine for now.

Of course, now I found an ATK locally for $350 - I think I MUST have it!

9. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    THat is cool. I've never seen one like that. Nevermind about a pickguard, I have no Idea where you'd get one of those.