1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"squire" should not be called Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kajel, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kajel

Kajel

May 20, 2012
    No I am not trolling

Does anyone feel the same way?

Everytime I go into a music store all I see are these very cheap copies of real guitars.

Fender should sell off the brand.

2. neren

neren

Jun 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    squiER

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Chris Squire is never referred to as a Fender.

Also, Squier is not called Fender, it is called Squier BY Fender. The only time I have seen Squiers listed as Fenders is online through CL/kijiji and ebay.

No, I really don't think they should get rid of the brand it serves a completely different market than Fender itself does, they would be fools to kill of Squier. Would you rather they serve the entry level crowd with Fender gear of the same standards? That would surely devalue the Fender name

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Actually they are real guitars. Should Fender sell them off? Evidently not because they sell a **** load of them all the time. Personally it doesn't bother me to see them associated with Fender. Many would argue in fact that alot of them play as well or better than 'real' Fenders....

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No I like Squier and I like Fender and I like knowing they are on in the same. I also like palying Squiers and don't care if anyne else has an issue with it or not.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Being an American, it's a bit sad that I love the Chinese products so much, but I love my Squier. Can't beat it for the price. I could play it all day. And do.

7. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    IMO: If they rebranded the headstock with a new logo, a lot of people would change their opinions on the product. If they were no longer Fender's entry level line built overseas and just became that company that makes imported traditional bass and guitar designs (at that same price point), everyone would be singing their praises.
    I think they make great stuff but a lot of people for whatever reason don't want to be associated with the Squier name. I'm guilty of being a bit of a name snob myself (but I'm trying to change).

8. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    squire-by-fenda.

Call it what you want. I love my 'unreal' bass and I have money left in my wallet.

9. I think you are close to being all alone in your feelings. Most bassists regard the current Squier line as excellent quality in their price range. I would guess that Squier is very important to Fender's profits.
    Rocky

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, they are called liars. Many people seem to think a basses tone is its playability, and though you can get the tone close with a pickup swap physically playing any Fender side by side with any Squier will be like comparing apples and oranges. Sonically you might beat a pepsi challenge, but if you were blindfolded and played both basses you could tell the Squier from the Fender 10 times out of 10.

Seriously, I have looked for YEARS for these legendary better than MIA Squiers... they plain old do not exist. The only ones that might even be top shelf players have had extensive lutheir work done to them which makes them pretty much the same cost as a used MIA Fender and defeats the whole purpose of saving money on it.

Don't get wrong I love Squiers and know they serve a fantastic spot in the market but they are not comparable to MIA, or even MIM for that matter.

EDIT: T77 that decal is awesome like a bad B movie is awesome, did you put the decal on yourself or buy it as a "Squire by Fenda"

11. I'm pretty sure the hardware and electronics that go into USA Fenders are made in the very same Asian factories that make Squire electronics and hardware.

Except Custom Shop Fenders. Those are created with the help of Fender's gnomes, who live in a secret mine under Yosemite, where they cast bridges with metal smelt from virgin adamantium veins. Those are 100% American made (except the gnomes, which are part Swedish).

12. Then, uh, don't buy one.

13. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    It doesn't really bother me, I know the difference myself. If it makes a beginner on a budget feel good to say fender instead of Squier it's all good. He'll buy a real fender some day down the road. :). Should I go hide now?

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If it looks like a troll and smells like a troll...guess what...

troll_b_gone.

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    damn,.. is it Monday already?!!:confused:

16. I own both, I use both. Is my Fender ever in danger of getting but down in favor of my Squier. No way.

Cadillac/Chevrolet- Geo/Saturn/GMC

17. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    And what "real" guitar do you play, oh elite(ist) one?

18. I prefer the smooth, unglossed neck on my VM jazz over literally any american fender I've picked up, and even the tone from the stock pups sound better to my ears, but maybe I haven't found the right fender?

If the price subconsciously affects your opinion of your own gear then so be it, but the troll thread isn't necessary; different strokes for different folks.

19. DiabolusInMusic

I bet my bottom dollar the fret edges are all sharp on the neck of your VM just like every other VM/CV I have ever played, and that is far more than I can count. I won't comment on the tone as that is subjective but I did not care for them, they leave a lot to be desired in my book. As stated tone is not playability, pickups are easily changed.

20. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    T77-that decal RAWKS!! please tell me,did you make it,have it made,or buy it pre-made? I want to do a parts bass with the stylised "Fender" saying "Fumble Percussion Bass" ( I've been playin drums 40 yrs.) And as a drummer,some of the most joyful moments of my musical life have been given to me by great bassists,often when the gui**** had no clue what we were sharing right behind him! Sorry for the hijack,just wanted you all to know that this drummer loves you. Well...most of you anyway. Peace,Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.