Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squire Standard p bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Mar 2, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I was thinking of getting this bass, as I keep wanting a five string, but when I think more I decide not but this time I think it would be good, another aspect of bass to learn. From the reviews from www.harmony-central.com this bass seems to be well ranked and a good bass. Was woundering if anyone here has one or has tried one? Thanks

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I always take harmony central reviews with a pinch or two of salt, but this came out quite favourably in a review in Guitarist a couple of years ago. They're variable in quality so try before you buy.

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    cheers mate, only problem is, I would if I could. My local music shop stocks only cheap copy basses so even if you find a squire affinity in there youll be lucky lol. Im looking to order it off www.gak.co.uk. I know its always best to try before you buy but in this case I really cant:(

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've always thought that was a very cool bass. It looks like a million bucks - there are not many 5 string basses with a P shape and J pickups. The one I tried in a music store was fine for the price. Good choice says I. You should also check out the OLP 5 strings at that price, I think they're good, too.

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Funnily enough I was actually looking at those as well tbh. I think I prefer the Squire actually, I think its more my 'shaped' bass. Thanks for the comments when I get paid Ill think about putting an order onto it, theres quite a few colour choices

3 colour sunburst
    Antique burst
    Sherwood Green
    Candy apple red
    Metallic Black

I deffinately dont want it in red. Black would be cool but thats an obvious choice. 3 colour sunburst is a possibility, not sure what antique burst or sherwood green look like. I looked on fenders colour chart but they arnt there. Has anyone got an antique burst or sherwood green bass?

Thanks

6. I can't say I've tried any of them, but looking at the site you listed, there are a few other 5strings you could look at which I would tend to go for over a squier given my experience with squiers...
    They're not fodera's, but my experiences with cheap Peavey basses has been pretty good, and the dynabass 5 is cheaper than the squier.
    For not much more than the squier, you've got the yamaha, the warwick rockbass cheapie and the ibanez BTB 205. All of which I would be thinking about ahead of the squier, but obviously research them first!

The more important advice is rather than buying a new squier, think about going second hand rather than new! You'll have the chance to get a much better instrument than any of these. I just bought an Ibanez ATK 4 string (pretty widely acknowledged as very good instrument for not much money, with great stingray-esque tones) for the equivalent of about 170 pounds (with hard case), and I actually paid more for the 4 string than I did for the 5 string version I have. I did buy both unseen, which entails a little risk, but it really paid off on the 5 string (I haven't yet gotten the 4, I won the auction yesterday). My 5-string ATK will likely stomp all over the cheap squiers. :bag: For me at least.

Not that you can't do good things or learn on a squier 5, I just think there are likely to be much better options used (and maybe new) for the same money.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting,
    Steve

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I have one of the new Squier "Standard" P-J 4 strings and I think it's one hell of a bass for the money, it really sounds great and for some reason it's the acoustically loudest out of my three basses even though it's the cheapest.

I'd definitely try it first to check if the B string is any good, though.

Mine is antique burst, here's a shot of the back. The red looks darker in person.

[​IMG]

8. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    cool cool, thats a really nice colour. I wish I could test it out before hand but I cant really:( I think il prefer to go to the squire other than the ibanez etc because Iv played on a 4 string ibanez(cant remember the model) but its listed on the site, and I really didnt like the shape at all, hence why i would like to go for the shape that I know:D iv got a 4 string squire standard and that seems to be good and set up well but like I said gotta wait to be paid lol thanks for the comments. If anyone has any pics of those colours that I cant find please post them up:D cheers

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Glad you like the colour, here's another (pretty poor) picture of the entire thing. Blame it on the lighting and not my poor photography skills, okay? :D

[​IMG]

10. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    thats really nice, I like the colour combo:D Yea thats the same squire that I have obviously mines right handed etc and in gold lol they seem well set up and sound good for the price. Btw your photography is just great;) Just really need a pic of sherwood Green now......

11. I aim to please:
    [​IMG]
    Sherwood green is quite dark, and somewhat hard to take good photos of, or so it seems after some googling. The colour in the picture actually above looks a bit too light, probably from the flash, to my eyes. Still, Sherwood green is a smashing looking colour for Fender-style instruments.
    If you need further references, Sherwood green looks a lot like British racing green (consult your local vintage Jaguar, MG or Morgan salesman).

12. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Basspunk-

That is one excellent bass! I happen to think it's one of the best kept secrets around. I had one for a while and the only reason I got rid of it was because of the rather w-i-d-e neck. (I'm serious -- it was like an aircraft runway!:eek: )

That said, understand that you will want to replace the pickups because the ones it comes with are "4-pole" models. You may also want to replace the pots. What you end up with however, is a whole lotta bass for the money! (Check out this thread to see how mine progressed: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214282&highlight=epiphany)

You can also hit up TB'er, "Dr. Cheese" as he has been a big devotee of this bass as well.

One last thing: If you are buying this bass used, try not to pay more than $125/$150. If new, try to keep it below $200.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would try and find one of the pro-tone (I think) models witht he soapbar pickups. They were far superior to the standard ones.

14. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    thats excellent peeps keep it up! lol, that green looks excellent I think I have found a colour for this bass when I can order it:D Wide necks are ok I have pretty big hands so it should be ok. Yea Ill look into changing the Pups. What does it sound like with the 4 pole pickups? I assume the Low B will be a lot quieter ? I think if I was to change pickup I would go with the seymour duncan jazz 5 pickup or whatever it is lol thanks for all this guys its great

15. I have owned a P-bass special V and loved it. I like the full P-bass string spaceing. It was a very bright bass from what I remember. It was my first 5 string and I sold it after getting lost on the fret board dureing a show. I wish I still had it.

16. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    they do look very nice. Ive played a few squier Ps at school, i thought they wernt bad

but "Squier standard P-bass V special"?

the name contradicts itself :D

17. IotaNet

18. :cool: I've got one, a 2005 version, in antique burst. It's a very, very nice bass, the money aside. When you factor in the cost, it's a fabulous bass.

I've updated the pots and jack with better grade stuff. I added a chrome J-Bass pickup cover to provide a nice place to rest my hand when using a pick. I had my luthier clean up the nut so that everything worked a little smoother. I put flatwounds, GHS, on it. I added a thumbrest, because I like them. Total added investment, less than $50.

The bass has a great feeling neck. It's even better when I polish it just before a gig. The neck edges are rounded, the frets feel like an MIA Fender. The fit and finish are as good as many MIA and better than a lot of MIM Fender, Peaveys, Ibanezs, etc., that I seen and played.

The bonus to me is the string spacing. The bridge is a full 3" spacing, giving the same spacing as a normal 4-string. The nut is wide, just over 2", which makes for a wide neck, all the way. I would have preferred a little narrower nut, but the bridge spacing more than makes up for it.

I'm thinking of maybe putting in new pickups, but really haven't found the driving need to do so yet.

I've been using mine for over a year now and I use almost as much as my #1 4-string P-Bass.

Give one a try, I think you just might be surprised.

19. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  20. IotaNet

Sammy -

I'd love to see a picture of yours -- sounds like you have it tricked out quite nicely!