Squire "standard" vs "affinity"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 7, 2005.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Other than the p & j pickups and the finishes, whats the difference between the Squier "standard" and "affinity" P bass?
    Same wood and neck?
  2. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I find that the Standards have better finishing on the necks and solid bodies as opposed to the laminated bodies on the Affinity series.
  3. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    On the squier website it says that the cheaper "affinity" has an alder body and the slightly more expensive "standard" has an agathis body. Is this true?
  4. Irrelevant.

Squire's are worth exactly one dollar.

If you are interested in a beginner/low-end bass, hop on over to the SX Mega Thread. Those things receive boat loads of praise, though I cannot substantiate it myself having never owned one.

I can say what I have said above because I have played many Squires. Many.
  5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have had an SX and I wasn't really impressed. Crooked nut,debris in the neck finish,wavy neck,sharp fret edges,cheap hardware. They really are not any better than a Squier, just cheaper.
    I really think the allure with the SX is the fact that they are dirt cheap, but not any better.
    I'm not trying to bag on Sx,they have their place, but they are cheaply built basses too.
    It seems everyone here who buys one seems to strip every part off and install better parts, thus bringing the bass up to $200-$300 or more in the end.
  6. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have an SX P bass and have no problem recommending them, Rondo Music has sold 5 more SX basses to people who have played mine and fell in love with it.

That said, you find good and bad basses from all makers (talking production basses, not custom high end models)

When it comes to Squier basses, there has been one model that has impressed me everytime I pick one up.

Every one of these that I have played has been a killer bass with great tone. Not to mention the matching headstock and mirror pickguard look cool as well. For $220 its a great bass.

I have never been impressed with any of the Squier Affinity line of guitars and basses.
  7. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    I don't understand why the Standard series is considered better than the Affinity...I owned a P bass affinity that I upgraded but that sounded good from the factory for the price.
    I consider an alder body(even if cheap) better than an agathis one, and the sunburst finiture on mine was very good instead of the solid colors of the standard series.
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    As far as I understand, the only standard P still available is the the P special, so you've got that extra bridge pickup.

The standard series guitars, at least, have different pickups than the affinity series. Alnico versus ceramic (IIRC)

Body wood on the Affinity is agathis as opposed to alder
    The Affinity has a typical P bass neck, the P special has a jazz bass neck. I think there's a difference in the neck finish, I might be wrong.

There's some cosmetic details.

The Affinity is cheaper to produce.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    More importnatly, the Affinity is DESIGNED to be cheaper. Unless you REALLY need to save a few dollars, the Standard is made from better components overall.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy a used MIM P and forget about the bottom feeder stuff. You'll end up much happier.