Squire vintage '70s jazz bass: remove painted inlays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rrohde, Jan 23, 2009.

1. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    Squire vintage '70s jazz bass: remove painted inlays?

Hi guys,

have any of you that own the Squire vintage '70s jazz bass (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326702521) thought of and/or attempted to remove the painted black inlays on the fingerboard? If so - got any advice as to how to go about it and/or any pictures of the outcome?

I think it might look a tad classier and cleaner, but maybe not true to the 70s original.

I also thought about going as far as sanding off the painted black bindings on either side of the fingerboard...

What do you think? Would you attempt it? Did you attempt it?

Cheers,
    Rainer

2. I worked at an antique furniture re-finishing shop for a year and I would say no...you will ruin it.

3. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    ... ruin its looks or ruin the material? ... considering that it's only paint.. :confused:

4. I don't know if there is a layer of finish over the black...if you use Acetone or a paint remover you are taking off two layers...I would not want to try and put a finish back on a neck in between frets...see what else other members say before you decide...

5. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    I agree.. that's a good point you're making. In my mind's eye I saw myself pulling the frets first... But is that worth it?

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Not worth the effort and you will ruin what little value the bass has. There is a heavy layer of finish over the painted black inlays. first you would have to strip the finish then if you are lucky the black finish has not bit into the wood, which it most likley has even though I am sure they applied a coat of sanding sealer first. Then you would have to sand between the frets. and refinish the fingerboard. I would leave the bass as is but if you want a plain neck order one but as a luthier I don't think this is a very good idea.

7. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    godofthunder59, that's a good point you're making. Thanks!

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    No one can tell the difference if they're not holding the bass and eye-balling it.

9. I don't think it will look any "classier" without the inlays. They're my favorite cosmetic part of my VM Jazz.

10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I would also say I think the Squier 70's J basses are very nice for the money I meant no insult by saying "what little value the bass has" they are excellent for just starting out or even for a seasoned pro

11. Do they put glue on the frets before they put them in? if they do and you are putting a solvent on the neck it could also cause damage? and if you do remove the finish on the fret board would you also need to remove all the finish all over the neck to get an even finish? ...

12. They`re painted???Excuse me,but Ive never had the oppertunity to see one personally.IMO,I think its bullsh!t,Fender cutting that many corners on their products,esp w/the price increase in`09.

13. Dude... it's a $280 bass that sounds fantastic and plays like it should cost four times what it does. I don't think it's really valid to throw a fit about painted inlays.

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Now your really getting into $ or time and a whole lot of work the bass just isn't worth ! pulling the frets to refinish the fingerboard means you will have to refret , level and dress the frets. Without the skills, knowledge and tools this is not a job for someone just starting out.

15. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    Guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel I should not attempt it after all. :) Seems to be more hassle than it is worth, and the outcome might not even be that desirable....

16. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    Yessir.. I agree!

17. I agree....But still....

18. rrohde

rrohde

Oct 27, 2008
    Norman, OK
    I was also disappointed to see that the inlays and the bindings along the side of the fingerboard are painted. Heck, mine has even a slight runner where capillary action seemed to have pulled the paint towards one fret.

Oh well, eh? But in the end, I do love my VM! :hyper:

19. Wow! You're really gonna be butt hurt when you hear that the inlays on a Geddy are painted as well. Fender was afraid to take material out of the already super thin neck. As long as it looks cool AND plays good who cares.

I'm with everyone else here by the way, it would be easier to buy a fretless Rosewood neck. You could probably almost recoup the cash selling the original on Flea Bay or here on the classifieds.

H

20. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    why not changing it to a fretless :bag: , I had it done by a luthier,he put epoxy coating on it.It has TI flats on.Plays good enough for me.I think the block inlays are cool anyway,so I would say,just keep it as it is and have fun playing it :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021