Squire vintage modified fretless or ursa 1 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmaticmatt, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    Title says it all I want a P bass But don't want to spend much. I'll end up moding either one so I'm torn. Any opinions? I'm also considering a classic vibe 60s P bass. With frets unless they have a fretless that on unaware of.

2. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I would go SX over Squier. I don't like the 'ebonol' fretboard on the Squier. Plus, in my experience SX has a slight edge in terms of overall build quality for half the price. Pickups, electronics and hardware don't matter to me, because I'll completely gut either one and replace everything... though the last SX I bought had a good bridge with big brass saddles. Tuners were decent too.

If you don't mind the headstock, I think the SX is a better mod platform. And you can use the money you save for mods!

3. Yeah I had the squier VM fretless jazz bass and it was a piece of s#%t due to the fact that the fretlines were raised and if you get fretbuzz on a fretless it's a piece of s#%t. Take a look around here lots of people had the same problem. If I was in your position I would get the squier CV 60s precision, I don't have one but if I was looking for a cheap P bass that's probably what I would go for.

4. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Neither of the ones you mentioned is bad, but SX is hit or miss (I've owned 4) and the Ebanol board on the squire (VM Fretless Precision) isn't my tone.

If you want a Fretless P-style instrument, get an ESP/LTD Vintage 214. They were just discontinued a few months ago, but they're still around. 3-4 bills new and 2-3 used. A very well made P/J with a nice slab Rosewood board. A bit better quality than the Squire IMHO, and worlds better than the SX. About as good quality as a MIM Fender though the pups probably aren't quite as nice.

I've got a 214 with a set of EMG Geezer pups and it is a thing of beauty. It's quickly become one of my favorite basses even though I've only got around $400 in it including the EMG's.

Here's a new one for 380 shipped with case, stand and cable.
    ESP LTD Vintage Series 214 Alder Body 4 String Fretless Rosewood Fingerboard 3 Tone Burst Electric Bass Guitar with...

Or with an amp instead of stand for the same cost.
    ESP LTD Vintage Series 214 Alder Body 4 String Fretless Rosewood Fingerboard 3 Tone Burst Electric Bass Guitar with Peavey Max 158 Practice Amp & 1/4" Cable | Reverb

5. swartzfeger

swartzfeger

Mar 23, 2009
    Sedona, AZ
    My experience -- had an SX ursa fretless and was not impressed. Gave it away to a good home.

Squier VM fretless Jazz -- wasn't my thing. Tone and playability were just ok. I'm a Jazz guy and was underwhelmed.

Squier VM fretless Precision -- I'm not a Precision guy (well, I *wasn't* at the time), and I fell in love with the bass. The fit, the finish, the playability, the tone/pups, everything. Xmas present from my girlfriend.

6. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas

7. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You're very welcome.
    That's be an interesting comparison. I'd be curious to hear your impressions of both.

8. OrvCraig

OrvCraig

Oct 28, 2011
    Rondo offers the SX in short and long scale. Anybody tried or have opinions on the short scale?

9. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    They seem to be well regarded on here at least.

10. OrvCraig

OrvCraig

Oct 28, 2011
    Any thoughts on short vs. long scale?

11. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    For me that's a matter of personal opinion. I prefer long scale but I'm tall and have big hands and a long reach. I do have a short scale bronco bass that I like, but it does not get the play time others do.

12. Of these two, get a Squier VM and take it to a luthier if needed. While not everybody likes ebanol, the thick (poly?) finish on an SX fretless neck sounds pretty lifeless. And in case you need some neck sanding, this finish is a PITA to work with as opposed to ebanol (or bare wood).

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022