1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Vintage Modified Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lostrings, Oct 31, 2006.

1. SquireJacoBrice5Stringjazz001.jpg

I recieved my Squire Vintage Modified Fretless bass today from Musicians Friend. I was very surprised at the overall quality this bass offers....Very nice finish, Good hardware, Surprisingly good pickups, Great feeling neck, and a fantastic fingerboard. The bass feels good in your hands...The neck is very thin and the bass balances good. For the money the value this bass offers is incredible.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I plan to pick one up myself soon :D

Obviously I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying it!

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I've heard good things about 'em.

I'd drop in a J-Retro and Badass II if I bought one...you'd probably have the most killer Squier since before Fender bought 'em.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was considering a J-retro (or maybe even some barts!) but I thought I'd hang fire and see how it actually sounds before I go fiddling with it!

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I'm curious about the pickups on those. Might they be better than the MIMs?

Nice picture.

6. I've had mine for about a month. Love it, feels and sounds great. Pickups are good but very quiet, that's the only drawback I can see.

7. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    I was hoping to see someone talking about this bass!! I'm glad to see real players enjoying it. I'm thinking about picking up one myself to have something different around for a great price. Thinking about mod-ing it too.........

8. You mean back when they only made strings?

9. The pickups sound very good and they have a nice flat black satin type of finish. I believe these pickups have a wider range of tone than the MIM pickups. Also, Squire used a different cap on the tone control and it rolls off a bit more treble if needed.

10. I played one a month or so ago and it impressed the hell out of me, especially given the price. Other than the lined fingerboard, I liked it as much as my fretless MIJ Jazz. If I was looking for a reasonably priced fretless, it would be my choice.

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    That's a really nice picture, lostrings.

I'm lusting after that bass really badly. I have a Brice V2 5 string fretless that I would really have to sell, in order to get one of those Squires in good conscience though.

It reeally looks nice...

Enjoy your new bass!

12. lowrumble

lowrumble ********ed Specs of Fender

Jul 17, 2006
    Portland, OR
    A couple of weeks ago I was in my local music store trying out different Fender P-basses, when I noticed this one in a stand nearby. It was the first fretless I'd ever picked up, and when I saw the price tag, I knew it would go home with me that day.

I stopped by Guitar Center and showed it to some guys I know who work there; they didn't have any of these in yet. They were amazed at the quality of this Squier--the best they'd ever seen, they agreed.

This month's Bass Player magazine showed up a few days after I'd picked this up. The Gear section reviewed the entire Vintage Modified line, all of which got good reviews, but the fretless got the "Editor's Choice" award. "Cons: none." That review's not posted on their web site yet...

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    That looks like a nice bass. I don't need another fretless right now though. If I need a beater fretless, I know what I'm getting tough.

14. Do you have round- or flat-wounds on it?
    How's the fretboard? Hard enough for rounds, do you think?

sean

15. lowrumble

lowrumble ********ed Specs of Fender

Jul 17, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Sean, it comes with decent roundwounds installed, but I put flatwounds on mine. I love the look but the Jaco sound isn't what I'm going for. Fender flats sound great on it. I can't imagine a harder fingerboard than the synthetic ebonol.

16. Awesome...I hope to have on in the next few weeks :D

good point on the ebonol...I forgot about that haha

sean

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

yeah I hear you, have one too, I think I may try and spot an audere and try it on the thing, it has a nice sound, but low output compared to my other passive bass.

get some flats ou semi flats, the stock roundwounds were marking my fingerboard.

I believe these basses are quite a hit for fender...all I've seen around here rapidly sold.

18. It's been awhile, but I had to chime in. I just bought a 70's modified P-bass, but I also played the fretless, and I was impressed. It is definitely next on my list. I can't believe what you get for the money with these basses. No wonder Bass Player Mag gave them such good reviews.

Enjoy

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1 to that! Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have a chance to get my hands on a camera so I can get some shots of my fretless!

20. I've got one of these too. The only problems I've come across is some wicked hum with the treble up. And I agree with the pickup output being a little low. I'm loving fretless! This will hold me over until I can find a Tony Franklin. :hyper: