1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass'77 or SX Ursa 2 Pro...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Dec 26, 2011.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Need your opinion's...Looking to get a Back-up Bass, Jazz style, Maple/Ash, and will be installing a Audere Z-mode Jazz Pre - Vol, Vol, Treble/Bass (JZ3-VV-2B). I would like to make it a Marcus "Toned" Jazz bass. I know the Squire body is Agathis, and the SX's are Ash. But I dig the "traditional" headstock of the Squire. I figure I'll get what I'm looking for with the Ash/Maple of the SX. It also looks like the bridge pick-up on the SX's are closer to the bridge, more 70's correct. Chime in and give me your opinion's!

2. thobie

thobie

Sep 4, 2011
    i just bought a squire vm, and I love it. I have never played an SX however, so I can't compare the two. You could always buy an SX and get a squier neck off ebay; although you may have to modify the two to get them to play nicely together

3. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Well I have no experience with SX but almost walked out of guitar center with a Vintage modified jazz a couple hours ago. I own an american standard jazz and felt the Squier VM would be a more than capable back up. Light weight body, well balance, and overall pretty solid. What stopped me from getting it was a classic vibe 50's telecaster that was one of the nicest playing guitars I have every picked up. I knew once I picked up the guitar that I was probably just trying to spend some money that's been burning a hole in my pocket so I didn't leave with a bass or guitar. I wanna play a few classic vibe basses again before a pull the trigger on a back up jazz.

In short, you probably can't go wrong with the squier.

4. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks BassBob!

5. Had an SX (Ursa 1 P-bass), have a Squier VM Jazz (the natural finished one), and both were/are terrific. Given your 2 choices, I would get the Squier.
    Nothing against the SX, I would just prefer the Squier.

6. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    get the sx, much better body wood.
    you can always reshape the headstock or sell the neck to buy a new one.

7. If you're set on maple/ash, the SX is probably your only choice in that price range. If you could go with alder, your choices open up a bit more.

You could use the SX ash body and swap it with any number of necks, since you're planning to mod it anyway. In the end, it all depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend (and whether or not you can live with the SX headstock).

Personally, I would take a good long look at the Squier VM J 70's (maple) and seriously consider it for this type of project. It doesn't have the wood combo you're looking for, but I think the bass is pretty solid in stock form, and an Audere pre would really wake it up.

As usual, YMMV, IMHO, just my 2 cents, yadda yadda.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Does that '70's Squire have the Geddy Lee neck ?

9. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Both are maple and standard jazz scale size. Only the finishes are different.

10. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966

The Geddy Lee is listed as a " slim profile neck ". The Squire does'nt seem to have that designation.:meh:

11. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I looked at the numbers before posting, 1.5 nut, 9.5 radius. Not sure what the slim profile means.

12. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Slim as in thickness, from top of fingerboard, to back of neck. The GL's are designated this way.