1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squire Vintage Modified P/J or Deluxe Active 5 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Jun 10, 2007.

1. what are you guys opinion on these basses

good??bad???in different??

2. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Well, before these basses came out I would probably never have looked at a Squier again. Some of the early ones were amazing, but I saw the quality slip away, played far too many nasty ones, and then gave up on them. Since the VM and the Deluxe 5 came out, my interest was revived because the reviews I've seen all pretty much say they are amazing. Great build, playability, price, and sound. I decided to buy the 5-string Deluxe in white, which I think is a stunning looking bass, but at the last minute I ordered the Vintage Modified (fretted) based on the reviews and, to be honest, I think it looks killer.

It should be here tomorrow, so I'll tell you exactly how it is when I get it. According to some, these are the best basses Squier has ever built. I've had lots of play time on a couple of outstanding Squiers (a J and a P) because those were owned by a bassplayer in my old band and by my cousin, so I have a good point of reference and something to compare to. I'll post back ASAP and let you know first hand how the VM is.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I just ordered a White Deluxe Active 5 as well. I'll post my thoughts shortly.

I also looked at one of the VM fretlesses in person. It's a solidly built bass and sounds great, but I had some qualms about the cosmetics - namely, the seams between the body pieces, which were very apparent because the wood was streaky. That was a shame, because the burst finish itself was really nice.

4. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    That was one reason I didn't buy the fretless -- seen too many examples where the pieces of the agathis body varied in colour quite drastically and the seams were very visible. I'm taking the same risk with the maple bodied fretted model too, but I have seen far less variation in colour so far with this model. Fingers crossed I get a good one.

5. thanks for the replys

tell me how the VM plays and sounds cause im looking in to getting 1 either that or the deluxe 5

6. ok im defiantly getting one of these...i love the Jazz sound the nice low kick and the good slapping sound but which one do you think would be better for playing funk-rock

7. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Funk and rock? The fretted Squier VM is what I'd choose for those kinda styles, but I dunno man, it'd be hard to choose between the 5 and the VM fretted. I changed my mind at the last minute and ordered the VM.

8. you happy w/ your choice?

9. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I will report back in the morning and let you know, I'm itching to get my hands on it!

If I was to take the sensible route I would have bought the 5, but I wanted a 4-string that I could just play the hell out of right from the start. I'm not used to a 5-string, they really confuse me, but I think the deluxe 5 will be my next bass purchase. I don't think you can go far wrong with either of them, to be honest. Reviews have been 99% positive for both, with only a couple of people showing slight disappointment. Keep us updated, though, I'd love to hear how it goes.

10. what VM did you get(color wise)

11. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    The VM Jazz is killer. I don't know about the Precision, but the Jazz will SURELY please you. The bass sounds great, plays wonderfully, and looks sexier in person than in the pictures.

Try one out and you'll love it.

12. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
  13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Yeah, this bass has the funk!

14. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Well I did a review on the Vintage Modified P Bass. I like it alot. In fact, for $249 I loved it ! The one I bought had better tone and construction than the MIM Fender P that I compared it to at GC. For a couple hundred less. So, at that level it was an easy choice. :bassist:

15. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    VM fretted jazzes are pretty good, but sometimes the body looks pink instead of like maple. IMO, it's kindof pointless to have a clear lacquer if the wood doesn't look that great. It's still a good bass though.

16. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I like pink. :)

17. mk defiantly sounds like my next bas...but im gonna shop around and see if i can get a better deal....doubt it though

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I love my VM P/J!
    :)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021