1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire VM Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked one of these back in December used for $150. It is a bit heavy, I guess mine is 10 lbs, and the maple body makes for just a tad harsher top end than an alder or ash body bass. I just turn down the tone knob a bit when I slap to tame it a bit. Best of all, I love that Seventies look. Anybody else like this model?

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Great bass for the bucks and, as you may discover along the way, on Vintage Modified V, necks are way more consistent than on Vintage Modified IV, whereas it's up to your fate and yourveryself to pickup a good one.

Anyway
    Yeah, those basses are great for slap: Duncan Designed singles are nothin' special really (I always mumbled over swappin'em out for a set of Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, if I'd ever grab a Vintage Modified V) but are very very hot, so crafted for slap!

Great overall bass my friend

A steal at $. 150.00

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree about the high quality of the neck on this bass. Mine had sharper fret edges when I got it, but I smoothed them out with very fine steel wool. I will probably upgrade the pickups too with something, but I have not decided what yet. Overall, it is a nice Jazz Bass for very little money, and I am quite happy with it.

4. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Love mine. Swapped out all the hardware and the only thing I haven't changed out is the pups (which I'm happy with for now). And you're right about the neck, it was probably the main selling point for me.

7c4501af-5465-4a37-bc70-dbcb75d996b2_zps54ca076a.

kkaarrll likes this.
  5. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm really happy with mine too. I have done a few mods to mine and I'm really happy with the tone and feel.

In no particular order:

Lollar Single Coil pickups (pulled these out of another bass) really good vintage tone.
    Fender stacked knob set
    Allparts bridge
    Hipshot 3 and 2 string guides
    Filed nut
    Strap locks

I've got SIT Power Wounds (Tapered .125 B string) and I have 0 complaints. It's a very nice instrument, even at a higher price point.

Bob

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I just sold one of these I got in a trade. Very impressive!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am thinking about getting Nordstrand single coils or maybe some Sadowsky stacked humbuckers. I had a pair of Sadowsky pickups before and I liked them although they sound more modern than traditional Jazz pickups.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But I think that the perfect combo for that all maple funk machine is gonna be Nordstrands and Sadowsky preamp.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That could be fun, but I am leery of spending too much modding cheaper basses.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Another option is to do nothing. The stock bass sounds very good through a nice rig. I am considering biting the bullet and buying a small Aguilar or Markbass rig this summer.

12. I have the 4 string version and I feel the same about is as you do. The only mods I've done have been aesthetic, everything else is terrific the way it is. Love the way it sounds, looks and plays.

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I think I would prefer keeping it passive.

1. Keeps it simple.
    2. Keeps cost down.

14. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    does anyone know what these look like underneath the pickguard? is the routing good enough to go sans pickguard?

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nice bass I had one but took it back. The fit and finish was as good or better than others basses costing hundreds more. I just couldn't handle the neck and it being just to freakin heavy.

16. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    under the pickguard looks like what?

17. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    also, how is the shielding for the hum?